Builder left me a puzzle

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlumbingChallenged

Reaction score
I have a builder that roughed in basement bathroom plumbing that I took a picture of before they poured the cement. (I did this will all plumbing, electrical, etc.. before they poured cement or drywalled) After taking the picture they poured the basement floor and 5 years later I put a bathroom on that plumbing. Unfortunately it doesn't drain properly. My shower gurgles when the toilet flushes and none of it actually drains anywhere anymore. The picture shows which pipe was used for each.

Can it be determined from this picture if this venting was done correctly or what the issue might be? (see attachment)

That vent goes all the way to the roof. There is also a backwater valve attached at the end of that large drain pipe that is suppose to carry all the wastewater away.

I've snaked everything, no blockages. Next I was going to dig up the backwater valve and see if it's blocked. Do I have a possible drain pipe airlock?

Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.

Basement Drain Issues.jpg

Thanks John. My builder was kind enough to cement over the backwater valve access plate but digging it out will be my weekend project. I'm hoping the cement layer over the access plate is thin. Fortunately I took pictures of it too. Attaching in case they are helpful.

backwatervalve.jpg

Just before the backflow valve it was plugged good. Black rag that the builder's contractors left behind. Nice.

Appreciate the advice though.

Latest posts

Back