How/where to vent this toilet (pics)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm hoping to get some advice here on how to dry vent a toilet I want to re-position in the bathroom.

The following picture is an overview of the room. The waste line is running laterally through the kitchen soffit below the floor joists. For the purpose of this discussion, I am focusing on how and where to bring in the dry vent line in to the toilet waste line.

The end of the tape measure in the next two pictures show where I want to move the toilet to. I can get the 90 in there connected to the downturned street 45. The downturned street 45 connects to another street 45 which connects up to a wye in the main waste line.

Again, I'm only looking on how and where to bring the vent into the toilet waste line. It does not need to connect up to the vent you see in the pictures since that will all be changing.

I see two possible solutions and I would like some feedback on them...

Are either of the following options acceptable?

1. Replace the downturned street 45 with a wye, the bent run of the wye replaces the original street 45 and the straight run of the wye (facing up in this installation) becomes the vent?

2. Between the downturned street 45 and the upturned 90 to the closet flange I could place a sanitary T which is rolled up at 45 degrees for the vent. The problem with this solution is the amount of space it will take up and how far it will move the toilet from where I want it. Is there a shorter piece that I could do this with?

Thanks,
Glenn

Last edited:
Is the shower staying in the same location? If so a better picture of how the shower is piped along with its vent. There is a good chance that you may not need an additional vent on the toilet.

The shower drain is moving left between the adjactent pair of joists. It will be feeding to the same inlet that it is currently feeding to. The shower vent that you see in the first picture will remain unchanged.

The new toilet location is well within 5 feet of the shower vent. I was under the impression that the shower vent would not suffice for the toilet vent since the toilet waste line turns downward before the shower vent joins it.

Please let me know if you need more pictures or further description.

Thank you :)

Glenn

Is there other waste lines connecting up stream of the shower or in between the shower and the toilet? Also what size is the shower vent? As far as the vent being connected after the waste line turns down doesn't make the vent none compliant.

Is there other waste lines connecting up stream of the shower or in between the shower and the toilet? Also what size is the shower vent? As far as the vent being connected after the waste line turns down doesn't make the vent none compliant.

The only upstream connection of the shower is the wye at the far upper left of picture 1. That is a vent line from the kitchen sink. The shower and kitchen sink vents are both 1-1/2". Once those two vents join together at the wye, the vent is then 2" and remains 2" until it connects to the stack.

Thanks,
Glenn

Under current International Plumbing Code, you will not need to install a vent specifically for the toilet in this situation, as long as the pipe that it attaches to is vented. Which it looks like it is.

Under current International Plumbing Code, you will not need to install a vent specifically for the toilet in this situation, as long as the pipe that it attaches to is vented. Which it looks like it is.

Is the diameter of the existing shower and sink vent line sufficient to also properly vent the toilet?

Glenn

First I would like to say that my opinions are based off of UPC code in Washington.

A dry vent can not be rolled horizontal. This means the fitting must be at least 45 - 90deg vertical to prevent a vacuum lock in case the pipes center line rises higher then normal, essentially plugging the vent hole. The only time this does not apply is in the case of a horizontal wet vent. Again this is only UPC code and it ultimately is up to the authority having jurisdiction. Good luck.

First I would like to say that my opinions are based off of UPC code in Washington.

A dry vent can not be rolled horizontal. This means the fitting must be at least 45 - 90deg vertical to prevent a vacuum lock in case the pipes center line rises higher then normal, essentially plugging the vent hole. The only time this does not apply is in the case of a horizontal wet vent. Again this is only UPC code and it ultimately is up to the authority having jurisdiction. Good luck.

I don't understand your point in this situation. Where are you seeing a horizontal dry vent?

Last edited:
The 3x2 Sant is rolled horizontally 90deg sideways, not vertical. To correct this the Sant must be rolled at least 45 degrees up so that the upper cross section of the 3" pipe always has an air way to prevent a vacuum lock and possibly make the toilet burp/bubble when flushed. Additionally the maximum trap arm length of a 3" pipe is 6' to prevent this from happening as well. Again this is just UPC code and can very by location and local authorities.

Last edited:
I thought it needed to be rolled above the horizontal Centre line of the pipe not necessarily 45 degrees to prevent this issue. And I was under the impression with the one pipe diameter fall for grade was 12' and for a toilet 9' being the exception to that rule. Again I'm not arguing with you, my code states different but I haven't heard of any differences as far as trap arm lengths with any code so far. Just surprised me

I think you're misunderstanding the entire post. He is trying to relocate the toilet. The new toilet location will be before the dry vent your referring to. That vent will be eliminated. The new vent will be the one that is now being used just for the shower. Like I said in my post that vent may have to be increased to 2".

I thought it needed to be rolled above the horizontal Centre line of the pipe not necessarily 45 degrees to prevent this issue. And I was under the impression with the one pipe diameter fall for grade was 12' and for a toilet 9' being the exception to that rule. Again I'm not arguing with you, my code states different but I haven't heard of any differences as far as trap arm lengths with any code so far. Just surprised me

In our code 45 is the minimum to be considered above the cross section of the pipe.

Theinspector wanted 2" on the existing shower vent. It will take care of both the shower and the toilet.

thank you :)
Glenn

Latest posts

Back