Shower Diverter help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aziandude1

Reaction score
I just recently began renovating the guest bathroom and am stuck with how to properly plumb the diverter value to get the functionality that I want with proper pressure balancing. So what I have is a multi-port Diverter value with 1 input and 4 outputs, with 1 being shared. So far I did the plumbing for the Flow/temp control value and now I need to plumb two body sprays, a tub spout and a shower head. How should I plumb this so that I can have it just output water to (1) only the tub spout (green), to (2) only the shower head (purple), to (3) only the two body sprays(light blue), or to (4) both the shower head and body sprays (purple and light blue). The pipes are 1/2". Attached is what I have so far.

Also wanted to add that each body spray is design for 2.5gpm @ 80 psi while the showerhead is designed for 2.5gpm @ 45-72 psi

plumbing2.jpg

body spray.jpg

Last edited:
I believe with only a 1/2" inlet, the most you can hope for is a dribble from each sprayer. Way undersized in my opinion.

I believe with only a 1/2" inlet, the most you can hope for is a dribble from each sprayer. Way undersized in my opinion.

I just looked at the piping inlets and I could tap into the 3/4" main on the cold side, but I'm stuck with 1/2" for the hot side. As for the rest of the plumbing, the flow value output are 3/4" IPS ports while the diverter are using 1/2" IPS ports.

Last edited:
I'm interested to find out the results at the heads after the build. Please keep us in the loop!

I'm interested to find out the results at the heads after the build. Please keep us in the loop!

I'm on a tight budget, so having to redo any plumbing if it turns out subpar isn't something I really desire. I'm trying to figure out the proper way of doing the plumbing right the first time. I'm no plumber by any means, but I'm capable enough to plumb and solder the pipes given the right guidence.

We have some real good experts who will walk you through the process. I'm sure they are right now working their butts off, but when they have time, they will pop in here and help you out.

I am not familiar with that valve, so you are going to have to work with me a bit.

So, using a standard analog clock as reference.

6 o'clock is the inlet.
9 o'clock is an independent outlet.
10:30 o'clock is an independent outlet.
12 o'clock and 3 o'clock both are supplied at the same time, with no way to separate one from the other.

Is this correct?

I am not familiar with that valve, so you are going to have to work with me a bit.

So, using a standard analog clock as reference.

6 o'clock is the inlet.
9 o'clock is an independent outlet.
10:30 o'clock is an independent outlet.
12 o'clock and 3 o'clock both are supplied at the same time, with no way to separate one from the other.

Is this correct?

12 o'clock and 3o'clock are shared. When I say shared, you can control the flow of water between the two. So you can have say 100% of water going to one output and 0% to the other or alternatively you can have say 42% of the water flow going to one and 58% to the other and anything in between. You are correct for the rest of the connections. I picked it up for super cheap when The Great Indoor was going out of business.

It's on this page: http://www.homewerksww.com/catalog....5,810,x/TOSCA/Tub and Shower/Diverter Valves/

PN: 902-MPBN

I'm trying to bug the makers to get me datasheets, but they haven't replied yet.

OK,

9 0'clock to the spout, like you have it.

10:30 to the shower head.

12 o'clock to the body sprays.

3 o'clock loops around above the body sprays, and ties back into the line between 10:30 and the shower head.

Take that with a grain of salt, that would be correct for a Moen, Delta, or Grohe, but I have never installed one of these before.

OK,

9 0'clock to the spout, like you have it.

10:30 to the shower head.

12 o'clock to the body sprays.

3 o'clock loops around above the body sprays, and ties back into the line between 10:30 and the shower head.

Take that with a grain of salt, that would be correct for a Moen, Delta, or Grohe, but I have never installed one of these before.

I made diagram of what I believe you are suggesting below. Also for the two body sprays I'm going to make a pressure balance loop, not sure if it's necessary, but figured I follow what other companies recommend for multiple body sprays.

plumbing suggested.jpg

That's it.

Also, you will want to remove the male adaptors from the valve body before you solder to them, for two reasons.

First, you can damage the valve internals by applying heat to them. Second, the heat will likely destroy the thread sealant, causing the thread joints to leak. Solder the first section of pipe into the male adaptor, let it cool, then apply tape & dope, then make up the thread joint.

That's it.

Also, you will want to remove the male adaptors from the valve body before you solder to them, for two reasons.

First, you can damage the valve internals by applying heat to them. Second, the heat will likely destroy the thread sealant, causing the thread joints to leak. Solder the first section of pipe into the male adaptor, let it cool, then apply tape & dope, then make up the thread joint.

Thanks, I'll make sure to solder the male adapters before attaching it to the diverter. Also I had another question regarding water flow. Since I'm running 1/2" pipes, would I run into any water flow issues if I were to run both the showerhead and body spray at the same time? Each body spray is 2.5gpm as well as the showerhead, making it 7.5gpm total. I'm not sure what the water pressure is at my house since I don't have the tools to measure it, but it's off the city waterline in a 15 years old house so it should be decent.

The only thing I can think of if you up the water pipe size, them you have way more flow and must change your tub to a 2 " drain. Check local codes and see what exactly you can get away with....

Just wanted to get this information out there for anyone with this Tosca multi-port 5-way diverter valve PN: 902-MPBN and need to replace the cartridge.

Unfortunately Tosca went out of business, so trying to find parts was impossible. After much research, I found that Moen and Tosca used the same manufacturer in Italy to make their valves. From this information, I concluded that the Moen 3500 M-Pact transfer valve was identical to the Tosca multi-port diverter valve PN: 902-MPBN. The Moen 2060 cartridge was almost identical to the Tosca cartridge except you will need to swap out the stem from the Moen 2060 cartridge with your old tosca cartridge since the screw threads are different. Otherwise, it's a quick repair. Just wanted to get this info out there if you were in the same situation I was in with a leaking valve from a company that was no longer in business.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back