Cleanout question, general once over

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

optik

Reaction score
I recently completed the first part of a plumbing project and wanted to seek some input. I'm most concerned with my use of the 2 cleanouts, but would welcome any input on mistakes I may have made in the project overall.

1.jpg

This image shows replacement of existing lines. (The cast-iron wreck I replaced was a train wreck. Leaks, Y's all over the place, cleanout I couldn't secure a lid to, etc.) Going off to the upper left the 4" PVC joins 4" CI and runs to the street. Coming in from the upper right the 4" PVC joins 4" CI and connects to the stack. Coming in from the lower right is 4" PVC featured in picture #2. The 2" line that is capped is for a laundry sink in the future.

2.jpg

Coming in from the upper left is 2 sinks on 1.5". Coming in from the upper right is a toilet on 4" CI. Coming in from the middle-right will be a new bathroom on 4" PVC. (Continued in pictures #3 & #4) Going out to the lower left is the 4" PVC to the previous picture.

3.jpg

4.jpg

The previous 2 pictures should be self-explanatory.

Any issues that anyone can see? Also, Will those cleanouts work? I didn't use a larger cleanout fitting because I didn't want it to stick up that high. In the near future I will be seeking advice on the sewer plumbing of the new bathroom, but we can get into that later. Thanks a lot for any input you guys have!

There are a lot of fittings (changes of direction) in the line leading to the future bathroom. I would recommend the following at the minimum. In the last photo, move the hanger back a little bit. Change the lower 90 ell out for a 45 ell that points at the upper drain pipe. Change the upper 90 ell out for a sanitary tee with a street female adaptor + plug in the top of it as an additional cleanout.

Although it's a little hard to see, the basement is really crowded. (The issue is hard to see, not the wreck that is that basement.) I can't move the hanger back any because of the pipe seen in the top of the 4th picture. The 22.5 is against the wall, or nearly there, so the pipe gets closer to the wall as it nears that fitting, and the rod for the hanger is already against that pipe in the air. I would like to tear all of that garbage out and replace it with non-ox pex, but that's unfortunately not in the current scope. I could find a different type of hanger, but the wall tends to break apart if I try to mount things to it, and above-mentioned things tend to rust.

As for changing the 90 to a 45, think that would make a big difference? I'd hate to cut fittings apart unless it's a fairly serious issue... probably should have posted my plan here before i put it together, lol. The pipe going into the wall goes about 15', has a 90 (taking it vertical) followed immediately by a cleanout. (Less than 25' between clean-outs.) I had figured that would be enough, but there are a lot of fittings to weave around all that was in the way.

Another note, just to make you cringe, those 2 cleanouts I posted in the first picture have the pipe about 1/2-full of water because the run to the street is up-hill for a bit. We haven't had an issue in the going on 2 years I've been here, and I wasn't about to tear up the wall/sidewalk/main stack to fix it.

Side note, are those clean-outs acceptable on their backs? After some reading I was thinking maybe that is incorrect and that style is only meant to be used on vertical runs.

Last edited:
Back