Pop-Up Drain Stopper with "D" Cut/Half Moon

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FF_IN_MN

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I thought I was making good headway taking the knob off and expecting to see a shaft that I could simply unscrew with a phillips and take the stopper completely off. Instead I found what looks like a "D" Cut/Half moon key hole. Images attached.

My question is how do I get this damn thing off? Looking down that keyhole, I don't see any spot where I can grab onto with a screwdriver or a needle nose (if I even get can one down there).

Any help you guys can send my way is appreciated, thanks in advance.

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.JPG

photo 4.jpg

While holding the stopper up try to unscrew it.

John

What is in the pictures is what was revealed after I had already unscrewed the knob. The "D" cut piece is well attached to the stopper itself.

Anybody have any other ideas?

Yeah if that doesn't work, some have screws in the side of the stem. I think johns right though, lift up and try and un thread it. I have never came across this type before

I believe what the D-slot is for is a tool to unscrew stopper. But the stopper must raised for it to unscrew. I am not 100% sure of this but it's worth a try.

John

Got it figured out...the stopper had to be in the plug/stopped/lower/down position to unscrew it. Thanks for the help.

I think what John meant was if you lift it up and maybe put a slotted screw driver into the half moon, the whole piece should come out. If it doesn't come out then it my be stripped or corroded on. If you get really desperate you could try going underneath and prying, I wouldn't go too crazy cause it may disturb the putty in the drain and cause a leak. It's kinda hard to diagnose some stuff online, even though its something as simple as this, sometimes you need to physically be there to be able to do it and try different methods based on what you see. But give those ideas a shot and see how it goes, best of luck!

Back