Knock Knock

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whale

Reaction score
Greetings-
we are in a situation where our main water supply travels about 1000 feet to outside agricultural spigots and then enters the house through an 80 gallon pump mounted Myers Tank. It turns on at 40psi and then shuts off at 60psi.

After an accident where one of our outside bibs was snapped off and then recapped, we started getting a "knock" after the pump has brought us up to 60psi and then shut down, This knock occurs on the supply line before the pump and check valve, just prior to entering the pump room - you can hear the spring loaded check valve close and then a second later the bang
The pipes are not loose but this single sharp knock may eventually do some damage.

I am not sure if it would be worthwhile to drain the house with the standard procedure as, as i say, the noise is before the check valve. I shut off the house from the system, turned off the water supply and drained the outside ag spigots but the knock remained.

Any suggestions are welcome.

I am not familiar with a Myers tank, but I am assuming that it is a bladder type tank. If so, that should take care of any possibility of water hammer in the area of the tank. It would seem as if the hammer is being caused by the sudden stop of water flow through the supplying main when the pump cuts off. I would question, though, why it never happened before, but does it now.

At any rate, a good sized water hammer arrestor SHOULD resolve the problem. Just to give you an idea what I am talking about, here is a link produced by a quick search.
Water Hammer Arrestor, Size 1 In MNPT - Water Hammer Arrestors - Fittings - Plumbing : Grainger Industrial Supply

Hopefully one of the well and pump guys we have on here will see this and give some better advice.

Back