Adding a washer drain to main drain stack....

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phantomvs

Reaction score
Hi Guys....

The wife and i decided we would like to move our washer downstairs in the basement. We would like to move it to the left of the main drain stack.

The problem i am having is i am not to sure how to connect the drain & vent. I wanted to tap into existing cleanout but its a 3.5'' ABS and i can't seem to find anything that will fit.

Of course i would of readded a cleanout if it would of worked...so thats out of the question.

Then i thought of cutting the main stack but the height i would have to cut is over 18'' from the floor, cause there is the cleanout and a vent / drain that goes in the garage for a sink.

So cutting all above that to add a washer would be over 18'' from the floor and i am afraid it would be to high for the washer to drain properly ??

I was thinking of maybe trying to remove existing y connector and add a double y connnector ?

Any ideas.....how i can add a washer drain line ??? How would you guys do it ?

I would hate to dig up the floor as i don't want to spend big bucks.

I added a pics to give you guys a better idea of what i am up against.

Thanks in advance !

attachment.jpg

18" off the floor is not to high. Just cut another Y in above the existing one and connect your trap and vent. The drain for the washer should be 2" but the vent can be 1-1/2". Make the stand pipe from the trap 36" off the floor.

John

Thanks for the advice John.

Now should i cut in a wYe or a sanitary tee ?

Also since the main vertical 3'' ABS pipe won't give to much i can only glue 1 side so should i use a Fernco flexible coupling on the other side ?

Thanks again !!

Ok so ...update

I have just realized i have a wet vent.

The new location of the washer drain would be 14 ft away from the main wet vent soil stack.

How should i vent the new washer drain pipe ?

Thanks !

So John should i just put in a tee in between the trap and Y and run a 1 1/2'' abs to basement ceiling and install a Studor ?

Running it up to roof is next to impossible.

What if i just run a abs tube between trap and Y and reconnect to top of main stack in the basement would that work ..or is it just retapping a wet vent ?

You got it just install the tee between the Y and the trap. But no more then 36" from the trap. It's not necessary to run it to the ceiling, 6" above the washer would be great. They also must be accessible.

John

Thanks again John you were very helpful .

I will run it like this....

2005-5-17_washer_standpipe_with_AAV_horizontal_pipe_w550.JPG

Latest posts

Back