ADA toilet Spacers

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plumbear

Reaction score
I'm going to have to ad the ADA toilet spacers to one of the toilets in my parents house. Has anybody done this? I'm honestly more helpful than handy and I think it looks like something a plumber should do. If enough people say it's easy I may give it a whirl but I would like more info before I jump into this one. I have included a picture from a website so you guys know what I mean.

ADAspacer.jpg

I would say it will be somehwere between easy and very easy to accomplish. It's just two bolts and throw the spacer in with new wax rings.

What is the cost of the spacer? You may be better off just getting an ADA compliant toilet and installing that.

Either way, it should be an easy job to do.

The spacer I'm seeing is $100 bucks.
http://www.accessibleconstruction.com/services/bathrooms/2.html?gclid=CKmo6_bSkJ8CFRwTagodGQNfsQ

Id buy a new toilet before I added that to an old one.

Is the toilet on tile, or vinyl flooring? it helps to get a toilet with a larger base than the one you are replacing so you can cover up the mess left behind from removing the old one.

Last edited:
Not hard to do at all. Be sure to clean all the old previous wax ring from the floor and bottom of the toilet. New wax rings and bolt it back down.

The draw back is that there will be a lip/self like area between the the new riser and the base of the existing reinstalled tiolet. These tend to be a cleaning problem sometimes. I would seriously consider just replacing with an ADA height tiolet with an enlongated bowl, you'll be much happier in the ...END...:eek:

What is the cost of the spacer? You may be better off just getting an ADA compliant toilet and installing that.

Either way, it should be an easy job to do.

The spacer I'm seeing is $100 bucks.
ADA Toilet Spacer (Toiletvator toilevator toilet riser) - Accessible Design

Id buy a new toilet before I added that to an old one.

Is the toilet on tile, or vinyl flooring? it helps to get a toilet with a larger base than the one you are replacing so you can cover up the mess left behind from removing the old one.

It's tile. Should that present any issues? Also is the general consensus that instead of buying the ring I should just get a new toilet? My parents house is pretty old and could probably use one.

I would 2nd the new toilet instaed of the ring, toilets are not all that expensive and think about it would you want another joint that could leak?

I didn't think of that. What do you do with an old toilet? Is there a recycling place/habitat for humanity that will take it?

I didn't think of that. What do you do with an old toilet? Is there a recycling place/habitat for humanity that will take it?

I have only gotten rid of one and took it to the landfill but I have heard that they make artificial reefs out of them. If you are that interest you should call around also some of the places that fix up run down places may want it.

Not sure where you live, but many of the larger 'cities' have organizations that would accept it for re-ctcleing. Habit for Humanity would I'm fairly sure. Be sure it is clean, it may take you a little effort to clean it up but the charitable type organizations would be greatfull.

I bought one through Toiletology 101: Flush out the facts of repairing toilets; save water and money. for about 90.00 some time ago. I saw them at alegromedical.com for 75.00

Before you buy, if your parents are over 65 years (& US residents)- check with Medicare and their health care provider. This item, along with installation, may be a covered purchase. They may even pay for installation.
The Area Agency on Aging (n4a | National Association of Area Agencies on Aging) may be able to help you through the Medicare qualification paperwork. Medical Supply stores also can help with the governmental paperwork.

It is very easy to put in. It is like putting a toilet on top of another toilet. I used an extended wax ring on the thick tiled floor with a low toilet flange, but you may not need it. It seems to be safer than an elevated seat or seat blocks. It is rock solid and can be painted. (In case your parents' bathroom is purple and orange.)
Paul

Latest posts

Back