mini auger gets stuck. What am I doing wrong?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluekayak1

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've got a mildly-clogged tub that I'm trying to unclog. If I run the shower at 50% flow, it drains ok. But anything past that and it starts backing up.

I've been at this for weeks, and decided to post here after exhausting all the google/youtube/internet info I could find. Registered here to see if someone could help me figure out my issue.

Here's what I've tried:
- zipit
- remove overflow cap + assembly, covered with duct tap + use plunger (vaseline on lip, and filled tub with water for vacuum effect). Plunged for 20 min, no luck. Tried several recommended variations, such as "push plunger down slowly, then Suddenly pull up"
- shopvac trick (with overflow sealed off)

Last attempt was using a 20' long mini auger (Bass Craft Sink Cleaner)
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/plumbi...4-in-x-20-in-encased-sink-cleaner-187439.html

I fished it down the overflow hole and it gets about 2-3 feet deep. Then it hits metal or something (I don't think it's the clog, as the head comes back clean, no hair, etc). But I can't seem to go beyond that.

I've tried rotating the auger manually, and being patient (20 minutes of jiggling, trying to get it to go further). But no luck. It just won't go past that spot.

Am I doing something wrong?
Is there some trick involved?

Thanks for any help!

you need someone with a k 50 auger, you could be hitting the blockage but regardless the cable is too small to do much. A plumber will clear the line.

Thanks Liquid. Hmm, those K50 augers don't look cheap. I'm hoping to avoid calling a plumber but it may come to that.

Thanks Phishfood. Yes, this is an older house... maybe built around 1950's?
I don't know if it has crawl space under the house. I will check. (it's a rental)

The property owner will reimburse me if a plumber is needed, but we have a 2nd shower, so it's not critical and it's just a slow clog, so this shower is still usable.
I'm using this as a learning experience so I can be self-sufficient unless it's beyond DIY level.

A really good drain cleaner can sometimes get through a drum trap. Sometimes they have to be cut out and replaced.

It is entirely possible that you are not in fact dealing with one of these, but an old house and you thinking that you are hitting metal sure seems to point to that.

Latest posts

Back