Replacing main supply line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scruff

Reaction score
I am replacing my water line from the meter at the street to the house. I need to install a shutoff valve just outside the house where the line goes under the foundation. The galvanized pipe is 5/8 from the house and the connection to the meter is 3/4.
What do I need to get the job done as far as lines, connectors, sizes and tools?

1) I the meter at the street in a meter pit? If so there should be a shutoff on the meter horn. That said why would you put a shutoff outside your house? Shutoffs get put inside the house & are accessible in the event you need to get the water off quickly.

2) You should stick with running minimum 3/4" water service from your meter into the house to allow enough volume for the house fixtures. Get a coil of soft copper and a 3/4 flare by 3/4 male or female ( depending on what's at the meter ) adapter. You'll also need a 3/4 flaring tool to make the proper flare on the meter end of the copper.

1) I the meter at the street in a meter pit? If so there should be a shutoff on the meter horn. That said why would you put a shutoff outside your house? Shutoffs get put inside the house & are accessible in the event you need to get the water off quickly.

2) You should stick with running minimum 3/4" water service from your meter into the house to allow enough volume for the house fixtures. Get a coil of soft copper and a 3/4 flare by 3/4 male or female ( depending on what's at the meter ) adapter. You'll also need a 3/4 flaring tool to make the proper flare on the meter end of the copper.

What your saying is true in your part of the country. But down here were we don't get freezing temperatures it is common practice to put the main valve outside above ground were the main enters the home.

John:D

My house was not built with a shut off inside. The only shut off is at the meter. The line is leaking underground. I wanted to install the shut off valve when I replace the line. It rarely freezes here, so outside is ok.

My house doesn't have a main cutoff inside, but... a neighbor told me the line from the meter was replaced several years ago, before I bought the house. Yesterday, I discovered an enclosure near the house, just where the line enters the house. I uncovered it (it was covered with dirt) and removed the cover. It's filled with sand and mud. I think it may have been filled with sand (?) and over the years dirt has seeped in and mixed with the sand. I probed down with a piece of dowel and it appears to be two feet deep or so. Is it possible there is a main cutoff down there? is this how they are commonly done in colder climates? Well, I guess it's not commonly done at all, reading this thread, but with my house they may not have had the option. The water apparently enters the house under the concrete slab, and comes up in various places throughout the house. Strange, I know.
anyway, what do you think? Should I dig out the sand and take a look?

Well, you are right. There is a shutoff valve -- a ball valve, covered up by 2 feet of mud. Those things aren't meant to be buried, are they? I'm afraid to use it for fear it would fall apart. What would you suggest?

You should be able to clean it up and use it. If the ball valve is brass and is in a plastic line, you might want to dig it up and put wrench on the body of the valve to restrain it and prevent the plastic threaded adaptors from breaking while you operate the valve for the first time. This is because there are often mineral deposits on the inside of the valve, and it can take some force to break them loose. After that, a couple of on/off cycles with an outside hosebib running should clean it up.

phishfood said:
You should be able to clean it up and use it. If the ball valve is brass and is in a plastic line, you might want to dig it up and put wrench on the body of the valve to restrain it and prevent the plastic threaded adaptors from breaking while you operate the valve for the first time. This is because there are often mineral deposits on the inside of the valve, and it can take some force to break them loose. After that, a couple of on/off cycles with an outside hosebib running should clean it up.

Great! Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back