Copper Pipe Insulation

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob76

Reaction score
I have been having problems with freezing copper pipes in the roof cavity. I have used standard foam insulation to cover the exposed pipe but still have had freezing problems. I believe this may be due to gaps in the insulation in hard to reach places. I am wondering if there is a spray insulation product that can be used on copper pipes? Something to fill in small gaps in insulation in hard to reach places and where insulation can’t be completely wrapped around pipes (such as when the pipe runs along the bottom chord of the truss).
Thanks very much for your help.
Rob

You may not have thick enough insulation for your area. You can use the canned spray foam insulation in the small, hard to reach areas. Remember that this stuff expands quickly and to always wear the plastic gloves and eye protection while using.

Although I am based in England [U.K.] - this applies to anywhere that requires pipework to be insulated for protection against freezing - As a previous answer touched on: are you using the correct pipe insulation for your area ? - in regard to the `Wall Thickness` of the pipe insulation.
`Standard insulation` is rarely good enough for protection against freezing temperatures - for example here in the U.K. on a 15mm [1/2"] copper pipe used for `Mains` - Drinking class water [potable] - running within a roof space - the insulation has to be - by regulation
Code:
  15mm internal diameter with a 25mm [1"] WALL THICKNESS - so the total diameter of the pipe insulation is 65mm [millimetres] = approx. 2 5/8" [U.S.] - for protection of a 15mm - 1/2" copper pipe.
On a 22mm [millimetre] - approx 3/4" -  `Mains`- Drinking Water copper pipe - again the WALL THICKNESS of the pipe insulation should be 25mm .

Because the water being carried in a `Mains` - Drinking water pipe - coming in from below the ground is much colder than the temperature of water that has been stored in a tank [Generally - unless tank has just been filled] - it is `allowable` to have for example 22mm [3/4"] copper pipes from a Cold Water Storage Tank within the roof space insulated with `good quality` insulation with a wall thickness of 19mm [3/4"] - giving a total insulation diameter of 60mm = approx. 2 3/8" , although in an area where very low temperatures are experienced - THAT would be `False Economy`.
In general - because water within a `Mains` - Drinking Water supply pipe is VERY COLD in Winter - it has a `Head Start` regarding Freezing - so that is why the Wall Thickness of the pipe insulation has to be MUCH thicker than `Standard` pipe insulation - But also in areas where the temperatures drop to very low - ALL pipework within Roof Spaces AND Void areas needs to have suitably INCREASED Wall Thicknesses of insulation.
I hope that this is `Helpful`      Chris.

Thank you very much for your help it has been extremely useful.

Latest posts

Back