Laundry Tub Faucet Leaks When Washer Is Running?!?!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhoffman54

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post here, and it also happens to be my first plumbing project, so bear with me if I sound like an idiot. We've got an old wash tub in our basement, with an old faucet. Some time a while back, the hot water knob got stripped, and spins free. You can get the water to slow, but once you turn it past a certain point it clicks and the water comes out full. The pipe comes from the ceiling, so we turned the knob above for the hot water off. That solves one problem. The other problem is that the 2 pipes, hot and cold, split off just before the faucet and run to our washer and dryer. Obviously with the hot water turned off up above, we can only wash our clothes on cold, which is ok, we've been doing it for years. But we got our washer replaced, and now when the washer draws in water during a load, the faucet starts running!! I am completely, 100% baffled! I will attach a photo of the faucet, because its old and the pipes come in from the top.. I'm not even sure if they sell anything like that anymore. Also, is it possible to remove the faucet altogether and just sort of cap the pipes where it used to attach?? We never, ever use that sink for anything other than maybe dumping stuff in, and if I can just cap it like that and not have to worry about my crappy plumbing job / spending a bunch of money on a new faucet, I'd rather do that!

ForumRunner_20120301_100743.jpg

Thismay seem redundant but turn off the water and open the faucet you are working on to drain the water and relieve pressure. Even residual static water pressure can give you a shower so let it all stop draining. Looks like you have had the hot water pipe leaking ; where the the rag is wrapped around? Are both the hot and cold pipe copper?
You will need two pipe wrenches and most likely a large pair of channel locks. PB Blaster is what we spray on rusted connections.
Spray both the large nuts and let the sit for 30 minutes. Your first point to start is at the 2 large nuts ( these are called unions and are there for the purpose to make dissconnection). Look closely at the top half of the union nuts ; there should be a small shoulder on. It will appear like the top a bottle cap with a hole. Or you can determine which half has threads and which half screws onto the threads.The half that screws onto the threads is the half you want to unscrew.Determine if it will un screw clockwise or counter clockwise Now with the wrenches one will be on the half to unscrew the other is facing the opposite direction on the other half ; this is absolutely neeed for opposite force to prevent from breaking or reaming off you connections
Once the bottom half of the nut ( with the faucet) is off then you will have a little more play in the pipe. It looks like the top half is screwed on to a male threaded copper fitting. IF this is correct then unscrews it , using both wrenches and install in it's place a 1/2" galvanized cap. Use a generous amount of pipe dope before installing the caps and then tighten them up and check to make sure you don't have leaks.

Second way is to check both hot and cold to see if they are copper and do you have 2 " of pipe above where you will cut. Purchase a mini( small) tubing cutter ( some plumbers call them close quarters cutters) and some plumbers sand paper and 2 Shark Bite 1/2" caps. Cut the pipe in a clear section leaving the 2" above sand and press the caps on firmly; hold the pipe steady with one hand and press the cap on with the other. Lowes usually has all this. Then check for leaks. PS the caps need to go on straight; if they leak you most likely do not have them on all the way. Push them on harder while holding the pipe

If you repair or replace the faucet it will solve your problem. When the washer is filling and it's setting is on hot or warm with hot water turned off above the laundry faucet some of the cold is running back through the hot line to your leaking faucet. If you don't want to fix the faucet then just turn off the hot water line were the hose for the washer is connected.

John

Latest posts

Back