How not to Set a Toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_David

Easily Amused
Professional
Reaction score
Had a service call for very bad sewer odor.
Water closet was recently replaced.
This is what I found when I pulled the WC.

work 002.jpg

Did you ask who the prevous plumber was?

Really, having set secveral hundred toilets over my career, I am having trouble figuring out how the guy before you managed to do that.

But, at least they used a wax ring.

I did one a while back on a 9 year old house. The plumber had completely forgotten to use a wax ring, but did a VERY good job grouting the toilet down. It had finally started seeping, and when I broke the water closet loose, a tidal wave of black "water" flooded the toilet room.

Oooppss. My only guess is that once the toilet was down it was picked up again, the wax ring fell away from the toilet and ened up where it is now.

Another example of why I place the wax seal on the flange and use the mounting bolts as a guide when I set the toilet.

I've always placed the wax seal on the toilet. This way, I can form a good seal on the porcelain. Is this incorrect?

I wouldnt say incorrect since most manufacturers show you putting the wax seal on the toilet in their diagrams. It just seems easier to some of us to do it the way majakdragon does his. I have always placed mine on the flange and the used the bolts as a guide as well. I have never had one not seal against the toilet this way.

Havasu, whatever works for you, and does the job properly, is the "right" way. I think my way is simpler and takes away the chance of the wax seal either moving or falling off during installation. If the wax seal is thick enough, either way will fully seal it against the flange and the toilet bowl. When I am concentrating on looking through the mounting holes on the bowl, at the bolts on the flange, i don't have to worry about anything else happening.

Latest posts

Back