Adding an aerator to built in china spout

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MnM3

Reaction score
Howdy,

Has anyone ever added an aerator to an old built in china spout?
If you don't know the type, it has the spout molded and made out of china/porcelain - it is not a separate metal faucet.

The bathroom sink is an American Standard F115 Shelf Back from the 50s.
See attached.

Currently the water exits the spout in an unorganised torrent right next to the back wall of the sink. I'd like it to exit in a nice flow directed more toward the user. Washing hands is a pain.

A new sink is not an option - as this is a restored period bathroom.
Nor is a new faucet as their isn't one.

I have an exploded diagram and parts list of the original controls. An aerator is not on the diagram or parts list.

Adding an aerator is the only option. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

American Standard F115.jpg

I'm afraid it is what it is. Also finding parts to repair that faucet will also be tough. I have worked on a couple of them and there is a gasket that connects the faucet to the china spout that I haven't been able to find.

John

That's what I was afraid of. Drat.

I rebuilt all the inner workings of the controls and it is holding up well. Hopefully I won't need the gasket.
On a side note; now that you mention the gasket, I wonder if even putting on an aerator is good idea. It might pressurize that particular gasket and cause a problem since it wasn't designed for that application. Hmmm.

Thanks johnjh20

That's what I was afraid of. Drat.

I rebuilt all the inner workings of the controls and it is holding up well. Hopefully I won't need the gasket.
On a side note; now that you mention the gasket, I wonder if even putting on an aerator is good idea. It might pressurize that particular gasket and cause a problem since it wasn't designed for that application. Hmmm.

Thanks johnjh20

I'm also working on a China Spout Sink and I found something in my spout while rebuilding it that may be an original aerator! It was just pressure fitted in the spout and I just pushed it out easily! So, I'm not really sure how it stayed in there nor if it's even supposed to be there!

You can see a couple of pictures on the thread I started today: http://www.plumbingforums.com/forum/f8/rebuilding-standard-china-spout-f115-4741/#post46514

Have you had any luck finding one?

Thanks,
Larry.

Latest posts

Back