My evening....

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phishfood

Professional
Professional
Supporting Member
Reaction score
.....was disturbed by a shriek. Milliseconds of thought brought me to the conclusion that it was my sister emitting the noise. The source of the shriek was mobile, meaning that my sister was moving away from whatever she was startled by.

I was puttering around in the vegetable garden at my mother's place, checking out the collard greens. If you are growing collard greens, they are tastiest when the leaves are young and small, no bigger than about 6". These plants are from last year, and are old enough that they are trying to send up seed shoots. I have to keep a close eye on them, and pull the shoots off before the plant starts sending all of it's energy to developing seeds instead of growing leaves.

I hope that my peppers sprout this week. And if the carrots do the same, it won't disappoint me either.

So I hotfoot in the direction of the noise, flip flops poppin' against my heels like my Dad's hand on my butt after I argued with him. My sister started to say OMG, snake, OMG, OMG, OMG, snake, OMG, it's a rattlesnake, OMG, etc.

Now, some will say that a sharp shovel is the most effective way to kill a snake, and to be honest, I agree. In fact, I passed one on my way to the danger zone. But, being a redblooded American male, I prefer to slay mine enemies with a 1911 A1. Within ~7 seconds of the initial alert, I was looking across my 1911 A1 at a prime example of an Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake in full attack mode, rattles making that hypnotic gourd-shake sound, wedge head pulled back to the launch position.

The casing sounded like a metallic acorn when it hit the pavers next to me. Me being the cautious sort, it was soon joined by another.

Turns out, my sister thought that the sound of it's rattles was water burping out of her garden hose, and was about to turn the hose off. Problem was, the snake was coiled about 1' from the hosebib. She darn near was bitten by a 4' Diamondback.

That was a close one. I hear them snake bites can be preddy nasty.
The 1911 should have made short work of the nasty little rope.

I'm in the city, I shovel snakes to death.

.....was disturbed by a shriek. Milliseconds of thought brought me to the conclusion that it was my sister emitting the noise. The source of the shriek was mobile, meaning that my sister was moving away from whatever she was startled by.

I was puttering around in the vegetable garden at my mother's place, checking out the collard greens. If you are growing collard greens, they are tastiest when the leaves are young and small, no bigger than about 6". These plants are from last year, and are old enough that they are trying to send up seed shoots. I have to keep a close eye on them, and pull the shoots off before the plant starts sending all of it's energy to developing seeds instead of growing leaves.

I hope that my peppers sprout this week. And if the carrots do the same, it won't disappoint me either.

So I hotfoot in the direction of the noise, flip flops poppin' against my heels like my Dad's hand on my butt after I argued with him. My sister started to say OMG, snake, OMG, OMG, OMG, snake, OMG, it's a rattlesnake, OMG, etc.

Now, some will say that a sharp shovel is the most effective way to kill a snake, and to be honest, I agree. In fact, I passed one on my way to the danger zone. But, being a redblooded American male, I prefer to slay mine enemies with a 1911 A1. Within ~7 seconds of the initial alert, I was looking across my 1911 A1 at a prime example of an Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake in full attack mode, rattles making that hypnotic gourd-shake sound, wedge head pulled back to the launch position.

The casing sounded like a metallic acorn when it hit the pavers next to me. Me being the cautious sort, it was soon joined by another.

Turns out, my sister thought that the sound of it's rattles was water burping out of her garden hose, and was about to turn the hose off. Problem was, the snake was coiled about 1' from the hosebib. She darn near was bitten by a 4' Diamondback.

Id give you kudos, but we dont have them here...

happy-smiley-8769.gif

Latest posts

Back