Wood Shelves - Not Plumbing, but still a Home Project

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRad704

Moderation
Reaction score
I know this isnt a plumbing project, but Chris said "more threads is always better" for a fresh new forum.. so here ya'll go...

My dad put wood shelves in my mom's pantry, and my wife has been drooling over them ever since... so we loaded up and went to the Home Depot Saturday for supplies... Wood is solid pine, color is Dark Walnut to match out table and what our cabinets will be once Spring gets here...

Not bad for about 5 hours of actual work and $60... :D

BEFORE:
100_3165.JPG

100_3166.JPG

DURING:
100_3167.JPG

100_3168.JPG

100_3170.JPG

100_3172.JPG

AFTER:
100_3174.JPG

100_3176.JPG

100_3178.JPG

100_3179.JPG

Looks good, I hate those wire shelves. One day I am going to switch mine out as well.

Dont be scared... :D this was actually way easier than I thought... the staining part was the most fun to me. Watching a dramatic change like that happen so quickly.

It could have been WAY more expensive if I had gone with the solid 24" wide shelves for the lower 2, the top grade corner edging, the much nicer 1x2 slats for supports, but WHY? No one will ever open my pantry and say, hmm... looks like you cheaped out on materials... and my $60 included wood, stain ($8), wall anchors($12) and a brush ($1.50).

I really like what you did, down to the color you painted the closet. My only complaint was the floors and walls where you stained the shelves. Was that done in your garage? Messy, messy my friend!

I really like what you did, down to the color you painted the closet. My only complaint was the floors and walls where you stained the shelves. Was that done in your garage? Messy, messy my friend!

I didn't see any plastic down or anything. Did you stain your wall?

yeah yeah yeah... :D See the white stripes on teh floor? that's from painting the crown moulding before I installed it.. and the wall is ONLY white because I sprayed all the doors in the house with a sprayer in the garage last year, and the floor is bare concrete so I'm not concerned about making a mess yet....

HOWEVER.... we filed our taxes last night and in 8-14 days we will be getting a lil' sumpin sumpin from Uncle Sam. :) SO, we have been waiting for this to refinish the entire garage... storage, walls, epoxy floor, work bench area, lighting... I want to have a "really nice garage" cause i like to be out there, and now we have a killer dart board cabinet... so we need lighting, stools, space for drinks, and some speakers for music... sort of a mini-bar/hangout spot for the grownups after the kids are in bed...

What you mentioned was my last project. I epoxied the floor just 4 days ago, and it turned out great. I lowered the ceiling down about 12" in order to accomodate a new storage loft with a drop down aluminum ladder. I also installed new copper air lines, insulation, electrical, sub-panel, 220 volt, with dedicated circuits for all appliances, new doors, windows, and a built in in mailbox. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I love it!

This is my thread, so I dont my being the one to hijack it... :)

One thing I would really love to add to the garage is a ventilation system. I am thinking 2 or 4 puller fans mounted on ductwork that would lead outside through the garage wall (side of house anyway)... I (unfortunately) still smoke, and in the winter, the choice is either raise the garage door and freeze, or leave it down and have the smell drift back into the house later... neither is optimal... plus, I think this would help when I am painting stuff or staining stuff or out playing darts all night and just need some fresher air moving through...

How and when did you quit? I've been trying for years and haven't had any luck.

When I smoked I had a heater in the garage I sat by while keeping the door cracked.
That's what we typically end up doing... and its fine for 6 minutes at a time, but once the garage is fixed up, and we have friends over and what-not... I dont want to just have the door cracked for an hour at a time. Plus, this gives me another project to sit down and sketch out. :) that makes me happy.

How and when did you quit? I've been trying for years and haven't had any luck.
I actually quit for about 6 months last year, but now am only at 4-5 per day max... I know i "could" quit, I just dont want to yet... is that bad? :confused:

I don't have to quit smoking...I never started. :D

How are you going to seal the floor?

I didnt start until I was 22... its not that great, don't ever start.

I am going to just get 2 kits of the epoxy floor sealer with the colored flakes from HD... I thought about doing several thick coats of Sherwin Williams Industrial Enamel, but I dont like that it gets a tacky feeling in the humidity, and will burn if you weld over it.

Walls will be very light grey, and floor will be medium/dark grey with black and white fleck. the interior of the house is all italian-ish earth tones, lots of dark wood, deep yellows and reds... so I want my man-cave (errr, garage) to be different because its, well, its a garage! Grey tones, and mostly all black counters and hardwares...

They DO make a tan epoxy with teh flecks so I could change plans to the earthy colors, if the garage "should" match teh house.... we plan on moving in about 4 years so we need it to remain sellable...

The product I used was a new formula "Rustoleum" epoxy floor kit from Home Depot. The new formula has a built in sealer, so nothing else is needed. They offer either a one car garage kit for $55, or a two and a half car kit, in either tan or gray, for about $99. Since I was worried about the floor being slippery, I added two bags of sand traction packets (purchased separately), and also purchased another bag of colored paint chips.

Lowes also offered a garage floor kit with a base color for a few dollars more, allowing you to have the paint computers insert any color to match any color you wish, but since I will also be selling in a few years, I didn't want to get too wild on the floor color.

I hopes this helps with your "man cave" build!

Last edited:
I think the Rustoleum is what Ihave looked at in the past... I will just need to clean the heck out of the concrete first from all my messy renovation projects... :(

And I dont care about getting wild with the color either. Unless I decided to go with teh earthtones, and then I would like to go with a dark tan color on the floor and light tan on the walls... Heck, I dunno... sigh...

I'll be sure and start a whole new Project thread when I finally get around to it... Havasu? got any pics? I'd love to see how a home-done floor turned out... And how hard was it to get the color flecks spread out evenly? That is what is really worrying me about the whole deal....

I rolled an area about 3' x 10', then my wife sprinkled the chips. Once she got done, I would again roll another square, and she would sprinkle the chips. This way, it stayed even throughout the process. I just took pics, but my computer is 93% full, which is causing it to be very sluggish. I'll add them when I either throw the computer against the wall, forcing me to get a new one, or I sit a while until I calm down long enough to fix the problems.

Hey! What is a washer and dryer doing in your man cave?!? That's female stuff, and has no place in a man cave.

Nice job on the pantry, Brad. The before and after pics are like night and day.

Latest posts

Back