Gas Repair code

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joey_vega7

Reaction score
Looking for some insight on a gas line underground and the proper way to backfill. Do I have to use gravel and sand or can I just backfill with the dirt that was dug up. I live in Mesa AZ and am not sure if the codes differ by state or not. Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Looking for some insight on a gas line underground and the proper way to backfill. Do I have to use gravel and sand or can I just backfill with the dirt that was dug up. I live in Mesa AZ and am not sure if the codes differ by state or not. Any help is appreciated! Thanks

The BC (British Columbia, Canada) Gas Safety Regulation under the Gas Safety Standards Act requires the following procedure for backfilling an excavation when gas installation exposed:
“(a) take care not to damage the installation, its protective wrapping or any cathodic protection devices;
(b) thoroughly tamp the backfill under the gas installation;
(c) adequately support the gas installation to the satisfaction of the gas company and ensure that it will remain in its original line and grade during settlement of the backfill;
(d) ensure that the backfilling will not diminish lateral support for unexposed parts of the gas installation.”

Moreover, the Natural gas & Propane Installation Code (CAN/CSA B149.1-00) requires that “backfill material shall be free of sharp objects, large stones, or any other material that may damage the piping or tubing.”

Here in So Cal we use Gas sand which is I believe an SE 30 or better. (Just a real fine nice sand) You should be able to call any material supplier and ask them for Gas sand and they will know.

Also depends on what code your area has adopted, what kind of pipe you have installed and if its under the building or not.

2006 UPC (what we have adopted here in southern nevada) - 1211.1.2 states Underground piping shall be installed with a minimum of 18" of cover, unless external damage is not likely to result then minimum cover shall be 12".

Section 315.4 states that trenches sahll be completely backfilled in thin layers to twelve inches above the top of the piping with clean earth which shall not contain stones, boulders, cinderfill, frozen earth, construction debris or other materials that would damage the pipe.

I installed 3/4" Yellow PE pipe in a direct burial application that was 14" deep, giving me 12" of dirt cover. The inspector turned me down saying that 18" was required and that sand was also required for backfill material at which point I pointed him to section 1211.1.2 on the minimum cover requirements and stated that there is nothing in the code saying sand is required and he retorted with the installation standards for PE gas yard piping where it states 18" minimum requirements and gave in about the sand. Instead of redigging the trench, I spent 2 hours pushing an abs sleeve over the installed PE piping.

Have fun!

Latest posts

Back