Hammered Stainless Steel Sinks

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim313

Reaction score
Hi all new to this forum and I had a question. I'm remodeling one of my bathrooms and I just went to a sink store (yes, I was surprised as well), there was a pushy sales men who followed me around telling me this and that till we got to the Hammered Stainless Steel Sinks he had displayed. Long story short this guy said they have a li8fe time warranty etc etc. Do porcelain sinks break? They made it seem like this was my last sink purchase but unless I'm completely mistaken wouldn't be that way with whatever I bought?

Also do you guys recommend and good sink manufacturers? I really like the hammered stainless look but I hated the price tag.

Thanks for any answers you all have.
Tim

Are you talking about the porcelain sinks that have been around for ever now? If so I think they speak for themselves. I think they will all last if you take care of them. I myself am a fan of the SS sinks but they can dent just as easy as the other can chip so I would say it is all personal opinion.

Elkay is the first brand name that comes to mind when quality is in relation to a stainless steel sink.

I've had problems with Moen sinks, coming from the factory heavily bowed in both directions...and what is to blame in that situation is the metal punch press has lost its calibration and either not going far enough, or too far causing the bow.

I've seen cheaper ones in this same fashion.

Stay away from the type with a mirrored finish in stainless steel; those lose their luster instantly and will not stay looking the condition you bought it.

The lower the number in gauge, the thicker the stainless.
The higher the number of bends in the sink, the stronger that sink becomes.

Stainless lav bowls is not the most common look, but if you like it... The biggest issue you will have with an enameled steel lav bowl is chipping. True porcelain is not nearly as prone to this, and is probably one of the longest lasting materials if you don't drop hard, heavy objects on it. Stainless could be a very good choice, but whatever finish is on it almost certainly won't look the exact same a few years down the road. Make sure that it is of heavy gauge metal, and that the rim that meets the countertop is straight and true, so you don't have to fight it to get a nice, tight installation.

Stainless steel sinks are not common in bathrooms, but are one of many choices now available. Chips in a surface on porcelain are usually caused by negligence. I had a mobile home for 11 years, with plastic sinks and 3 kids, and never had one chip or break. Guess you need to think about who will be using the sink before deciding what type and how much you are willing to pay.

I personally would not buy stainless sinks for a bathroom.
A quality cast iron porcelain sink will last a lifetime and you can get them in the color you like.

Back