Delta 1400 series leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockeynut

Reaction score
My shower valve had been dripping for some time. I was surprised to get a free replacement from Delta, so I figured it was time to replace it. I had a hard time unscrewing the bonnet. I used vinegar to help loosen the crusty deposits, but I still needed channel locks to remove it. I don't think I was careful enough because a couple of times while breaking it loose, I noticed the entire housing would rotate slightly. I got the cartridge replaced and the water turned back on, only to find dripping directly behind the housing, at least I think it's called a housing. I was hoping that it was an O-ring type of seal, but now I fear that I broke a solder joint loose. Can anyone confirm or deny? Thank you.

100_3127.jpg

Hrm, could you indicate on the picture exactly where the leak is coming from? just circle it with MS paint or something?

I thought that I had posted a reply earlier, but obviously my internet fu is very weak today.

Anyway, I believe that Delta used to make a valve that had the outer housing attached to the back portion with 3 pieces of soft copper. It could be possible that one of the joints on the soft copper could be broken loose and leaking, if you have one of these types of valves.

It's tough to indicate exactly where the leak is coming from because I can't get at the back side of it, I have no access panel there...yet. I circled a drip on the picture and put an arrow on the housing. It seems the leak is right at the connection where the housing attaches to the four way fitting behind it, I hope that makes sense. It definitely isn't coming from either supply line, hot or cold. As you can see under the vanity, I have no access and didn't like the idea of hacking the vanity to make an access panel. Plus working on that valve from that limited space didn't sit well with me either. So I decided to remove the vanity. I have easy access to the supply lines from the laundry room below the bathroom, so the plan was to put shut offs down there. That way I wouldn't have the water to the whole house shut off and we can use the other shower. During the process of installing the shut offs and checking them for leaks, I noticed the shower valve had stopped leaking. So now I'm really perplexed! The initial leak was a stream. Then after I shut the water off, I put my pliers on the housing to see if it was loose or if I could rotate it at all, but it was neither. So I turned the water back on, and now the stream was a drip. So now after sitting for a couple of hours, there is no leak. I've turned the water on and off several times at the shower valve, no leaks. It sat all night long without a single drip. I know it sounds weird, but I also know that it was leaking, I actually saw it. So now I'm just going to leave it alone and watch it. Dunno what else to do. Sorry for the long post and thanks for the replies.

shower.jpg

100_3136.jpg

100_3138.jpg

Ok, I just wanted to make sure that the leak was about where the visible drip was, you never know. It looks to me as if phishfood is correct. The older style 1400 series had soft copper piping connected to the brass body of the valve , which is a pretty silly setup that has caused a lot of issues.

Since you mention that you had to reduce some calcium deposits, I can assume that the bonnet nut was difficult to remove. On this old style of valve, torquing the bonnet too hard can cause they soft copper lines at the rear of the valve to deform and leak. This happens rather frequently to DIYers and the old valves.

I suppose it is possible to remove the valve and try to repair it, but I wouldn't trust it or waste my time. I suggest a new valve (the new style delta 1400s are solid brass), buying just a new valve will allow you to use all of the existing trim pieces and cut down the cost. Probably not really what you want to hear, but there it is.

In the case of a possessed shower unit you are going to want to fill your hot water tank completely and then have it blessed by a priest. Flush the unit with the entire tank of holy water to expel demonic presence

We replace these all the time where the homeowner broke the valve off in the wall.

It's an unknowing situation so I'd never call a homeowner stupid for doing it, ever.

Here's a video of your exact situation.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8OYwGBH7zY]YouTube - BROKEN DELTA FAUCET - INDEPENDENCE KENTUCKY - DUNBAR PLUMBING - NORTHERN KENTUCKY PLUMBERS[/ame][ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGHXak1PUvs[/ame]

You need to find a plumber like myself in michigan that can go into that same hole and replace the valve without access to the backside or enlarging the front.

If they say they can't, tell them Dunbar on the internet says they need to go back to school, or turn in their man card, promptly.

Last edited:
That's a nice video.
Old Valley fixtures are similar.
I had a post awhile back where I was trying to explain that exact thing.
An Old Timer way back in the day when I was green showed me how to take the cap nut off without twisting the tubes. You lock a pipe wrench on it and tap it instead of trying to torque it off.

Thank you Dunbar, good information. If I were to replace mine like your video shows, what would happen to the black plastic piece shown in the picture of my first post? Is that piece just for a fiberglass shower? It still doesn't make sense to me because my valve only rotated slightly and nothing broke off in the wall, I've used the shower daily without any leaks.

Latest posts

Back