Shower Niche Slope

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danhome

Reaction score
Hi all. I have a niche in my shower. The slope is slightly inward! No idea why they built it like that. Anyways is there any way to fix it without ripping the wall out and redoing it?? Thanks

I was thinking of adding another tile on top slanting outward. And try to waterproof the tile as much as possible so water can't penetrate it. Like redgard silicone the edges instead of grout. Is this a bad idea?

yes it is, water will get under the tile and mold will grow

only thing you can do is remove the tile and replace it.

but, that will require a complete rip out of wall tile also.

why?

the waterproofing on the floor goes up the wall also.

when you take out the bottom, you have no way to join the old membraine to the new

Thank you frodo. The niche is small. To fit a few shampoo bottles. To fix the slope I need to replace the entire shower wall tile? This sucks.

Last edited:
I may be wrong in my thinking but it you apply a bit of tile adhesive over the existing tile, adding another tile on top with the correct slope, then grout as needed, you may get away from a full tear out for many years. Just make sure the adhesive fills all the voids completely. Worst case is you will have to still tear it out, but why not try?

By the way, they make a small quart size tub of waterproof Acrylic Pro tile adhesive, that sells for about $8 and can be purchased at Home Depot.

Please post pics for us!

6ab20885-eb73-4814-be3b-9a3a4cbdefac_400.jpg

Thanks!!! I'll try this. I'll post pics shortly. Do you think grout would be okay? I was planning on siliconing the edges to make it more water proof. Aren't you supposed to silicone 90deg angles instead of grout anyways?

I may add some waterproofin sealer to the niche walls as wel so water cannot penetrate as easy.

Note: the niche won't be bombarded to water and the shower stays pretty ventilated with a fan during every shower. Enough that the mirrors don't even steam hehe.

They make an epoxy grout. I've never tried it but it is suppose to bond and seal great. If you can't find this, I'd use a color match silicone based caulking since you are correct, two planes should have flexibility.

Latest posts

Back