Bathtub to Shower, Drain HELP

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwgsx

Reaction score
I am converting my old bathtub area to a shower stall, so far the tub is removed and I was able to clean out the area where the drain enters the foundation. It was just packed with sand. My question here is, where should the trap be? I have dug down and do not see it. I plan to keep the drain location where it is for the shower but need to know if I should add another trap up higher or what. Also im assuming the line is vented already?? There is a vent line going up the back wall.

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

I would guess your trap is inline with the exposed vent and the drain pipe. When I converted my tub to a shower configuration, my biggest problem was finding a shower pan which fit properly, and one with the drain hole where I needed it. I found most prefab shower pans carry the drain hole directly in the center, so I chipped out the concrete towards the center, glued in some new PVC pipe, and ran it into a shower coupling for a water tight fit. If you are fabbing up your own pan, then what I just wrote would be unnecessary.

You also might as well continue busting out the drywall where your water lines are, and build it up to the proper heighth, and if you are tall like me, make the upper shower pipe at a 6' level, instead of the more common 5' 6" heighth.

This is a great project. Keep us informed with the progress, with lots of pictures!

I have never installed a shower head at 5' 6". Or at 6', for that matter. I always go up to at least 6' 6". and usually 6' 8" or more. Then again, I am 6' 1", and anything less than 7' seems short to me.

To the OP. It looks as though there is a fitting at the very bottom of the hole. Dig a little deeper, there should be a trap down there.

ya, ill be taking all that sheetrock down and moving the spout and waterline up more since ill be putting up cement board anyways. I plan to tile everything so the drain location wont matter since I wont be using a pre-made shower pan. I did notice the holes were all in the middle like you said and really dont want to mess with it. I guess ill dig some more and hope there is a trap there.

Latest posts

Back