Upgrading From Service Line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike76

Reaction score
So we are extending the run of the stairs to our basement and the main water line will need to be rerouted in the process. Since we have galvanized pipe from the service line running right up to most of the connections, I would like to update the entire system. Our system is currently set up with 1" service line (looks like lead) in the front of the house connecting to 1.5" galvanized pipe running about 50' to the back of the house where the H2O heater is. My plan is to run a 1" copper line from the service line valve about 40' to an inline copper manifold with 1/2" PEX valves, then another 10' to the H20 heater. From the H2o heater run 1" copper back to a closed copper manifold for the hot water. From there I run the 1/2"PEX to all the connections. My first question is, do I lose anything by replacing the 1.5" galvanized line with 1" copper. I figured since it is 1" service line coming in, keeping 1" for the line should not affect water pressure, but that may be my ignorance speaking. Second, do I need to install a pressure regulator? If so, what are the benefits and where in the system should it be installed? Same for a whole house water filter system. Finally, if you guys see glaring problems with my set up or have suggestions, feel free to comment. This will be my first upgrade of an entire system and I would like to do it right with all the desired components from the get go. Thanks

Oh - this is all interior lines. The service line I am talking about is the service line that enters at the basement. We will not be trenching out to the city water main or anything like that. All this work is within the basement. I have a few crude drawings, but I can put something together and post for your review. Thanks!

Attached is a very basic pic of the main water line. There will be bends up into/out of floor joists, but the drawing is the basic concept. The lines to all the fixtures will come from the PEX line I run off the manifold. Oh - I also do not have a water meter, although can have the city install one if I want. In additional to my original questions, will I need a water hammer anywhere near the manifolds? I have never used a manifold system before, so I am not sure if the get/create water surges. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

View attachment Water Lines.pdf

Yeah,
I live in Chicago. Most houses over 80 years old are all lead here. Almost every house we looked at before we bought our current home had lead service lines. The estimated costs to have the city replace them is anywhere from $5-10K. So not something I really want to do right now.

Latest posts

Back