Basement Bathroom

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin

Reaction score
I would like your oppinions on a future basement Bathroom project. The spot in the basement already has exsisting piping but I dont see a vent. My question is I would like to have suggestions on how you would run the vent. I would also like to know if you see any other major issues I will attach a picture. Looking for suggestions. I have done things like installed a toilet a sink even ran pipes but everything has always been in the right place if you know what i mean. Thanks for your help

2.jpg

Looks more like a dungeon than a basement, if you ask me.:D

The piping appears to me to be threaded steel pipe. If it were me, I would break out the floor and remove as much of that as possible. Although I have had no personal experience with that type of drainage piping, IIRC there have been problems with the inside of the pipe corroding and causing major clog problems.

What are the measurments of this area, and what exactly are you looking to put in? A full bath, or a half bath, ie:toilet and lavatory basin?

What are you going to do with the basement? Any pics of the space surrounding it?

Thats not the whole basement just where the half bath use to be lol. I left that part completely undone because I don't no what to do with it. I would like to just put back in there what was there a toilet and lavatory basin. The measurement are 5' wide by 6' feet long. your right thats some old pipe. I have also noticed that the closest vent pipe is about fifty feet away. The other part of the basement is already finished. Two things in that picture bother me. That toilet connection is about 12 inches higher than the rest of the floor and I don't have any experience with drain vents. If check the drains and they are clear can I just cut the toilet connection down to the concrete. Someone told me I could but That didnt sit to well with me.

Well, the drain line for the toilet needs to be at least 11 1/2" from the finished wall that is behind it, and 15" from the finished wall to the side. It looks in the picture to be too close to the back wall to just cut it off and add a new flange.

As far as a vent, you could replace the 90 dergree fitting on the lavatory drain with a tee, and carry a vent pipe up into the ceilig area. Then run it horizontally to an exisitng vent, trying to allow it to pitch back toward the drain pipe.

Well that explains why the toilet flange was made offset like that. As far as the venting does it have to be straight line or can it have turns in it and how big does the pipe have to be. Also can you describe a wet vent to me.

The vent can have offsets and turns in it. At 50' of run, I believe that you can use 1 1/2" pipe. As I said, try to keep a little bit of fall back towards the drain.

A wet vent is a pipe that serves as both a drain and a vent. To be able to do both, it needs to be oversized, larger than it would have to as either a drain or a vent. This way, there will be room enough for both the water and the air in the pipe at the same time. After it reaches the point where the drainage from the fixture connects to it, it becomes a standard vent. This arrangement allows you to vent a bathroom or other fixtures with a flat vent. A flat dry vent does not meet code, as in the event of a clog, it can become plugged with solids and no longer supply air to the traps. Having a fixture draining through the vent pipe will keep this from happening, and satisfies most codes.

Thanks I actually understand things a lot more much appreciated

Latest posts

Back