Securing a toilet flange?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highpower

Reaction score
Greetings!

I had a problem with a rocking toilet in the upstairs bathroom some time ago and discovered the flange had rusted away so there was nothing to hold the toilet in place. I removed the pieces of the old flange and set out to find a replacement. Of course since this is an OLD house (early 1940's) I could not find a similar replacement. What I ended up with was a thick cast bronze flange that would not fit in the floor because underneath the tile, is what appears to be a layer of cement/concrete? The walls of the house seem to have the same type of construction - plaster/lath, but concrete behind the thin layer of plaster?

Anyway I chiseled away a ring of that material from around the pipe and got the new flange in position. I ran some lag screws into the floor/cement to hold the flange in place, but apparently it pulled loose again. What type of fasteners are normally used on this type of floor?

I think part of the problem is that I replaced the wax ring with one of those "funnel" types, and the funnel doesn't fit all the way into the pipe below. The toilet has been rocking on the funnel part. How do I get this thing secured once and for all?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Tap-cons (a specialty screw product) should be used for securing anything into concrete or cement. They can be found at most hardware or Big Box stores. make sure you also purchase the drill bit for the size screw you use. Replace the funnel type wax seal with a plain seal.

Latest posts

Back