Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > Showers and Tubs > Shower knob screw stripped

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
reepotomac

Default Shower knob screw stripped

If you pop the cap of my shower (cold water) knob, there is a little screw that holds the knob onto the cartridge/valve. I wanted to take the knob off and clean the inside of it. I'd say the screw is stripped. It was REAL hard to get started, and now it turns but doesn't back out. How can i get the knob off? There is a metal sleeve behind the knob that screws on, maybe unscrew that and it forces the knob off. Uh, I dunno.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
NotAnotherRep

Is the cap you removed from the top of the handle or the side? If its on the top and you can see the screw and it turns but does not come off, then try gently pulling the handle off as you are undoing the screw. the screw is normally is attached to the brass spindle of the valve. If this does not work then it needs drilling out which may mean that you would have to replace the valve. hope this helps!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply