Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > Showers and Tubs > Jetted Tub

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
PipePig101

Default Jetted Tub

I have an existing drop-in jetted tub in good working condition, but my wife wants to change the tile around it. It appears that this would require lifting the tub out (or at least up) and I'm wondering how this is done with no visible means for securing the tub in place. I have two small access panels (18" X 18"?) on the exterior wall for what I assume is to service the pump and drain.

Should I consider this project, or get rid of the wife.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 11:53 PM   #2
phishfood
PLF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 391 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 556

If the tub is fiberglass, which most drop-ins that I have seen are, the body of the tub will have a little flex to it. Break out the tile, leaving a small section underneath the lip of the tub every 18" or so. Then use a prybar to "carefully" lift the lip up, and slide a shim between the section of tile and the tub. This should give you enough room to get the new tile underneath. Then, after the new tile has set, put shims between the new tile and the tub, remove the last few pieces of the old, and finish the job. IE, get rid of the wife, because it sounds like she is a HoneyDew fountain.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
PipePig101

Yes, fiberglass, thanks for the info. Sounds like a good amount of finese would be the key to doing it w/o removing the whole kit and kabodle. I'm of the mind that if it works, leave it for the next owner to deal with.

So far, I've got her convinced that changing the floor tiles to a different/darker complimentary color on a 45* will be OK. The tile guys are coming today to do the floor so I'll know more when I get home. I'm just thinking about this now in case it doesn't work out.

Yes, definetly get rid of the wife...

Tags
drop in tub, jetted tub, installing jetted tub, access panels

Quick Reply