Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > Showers and Tubs > Bathtub drain puzzle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 02:20 AM   #1
Kenimator

Default Bathtub drain puzzle

So I've been reading and watching videos all night about how to get my bathtub to drain but I'm at my wits end and can't find a solution. The tub won't drain at all so I started with the coat hanger and found nothing. I took the overflow cap off and pulled out the stopper (pop-up) but found nothing there either. I ran to the hardware store and bought a 25' auger. I started down the drain and snaked in nearly 20 feet. It stopped there at what feels like the hookup to the main drain. No dice. So I tried snaking down the overflow but I can't get it in more than about 18". Plunger time, right? I've plunged and plunged and plunged. And then I plunged some more. I sealed the overflow with duct tape because I figured my rag wasn't doing the job but still no results. And now this is where you come in...

I'll give you some background on the house so hopefully you can solve my puzzle. This place is nearly 100 yrs old but this bathroom was renovated within the last 10. We just bought this place after renting it for two years and this is the first tub drain problem we've had. The temps here in NY have been in the single digits for a few days so I'm wondering if something is frozen that could be causing the problem. The bathroom is on the second floor and the main drain pipe runs along an exterior wall. The sink in the bathroom drains perfectly though so it seems like if it were in the main pipe then both drains would be suffering. Between my wife and two girls I'm sure there is a lot of long hair that gets washed down the drain but I can't find it.

So... there it is. Thanks in advance for your help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
IFIXH20
HERE TO HELP

Liked 178 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 130

I'm amazed you got 20' of cable through the tub shoe and only 18'' through the overflow. If you used a hand cranked cable which they are just about useless the drain might just need a good power cable to clear the stoppage. If the drain drained slow before the stoppage more than likely it's only a stoppage, but if the drain drained fine before the stoppage your trap could be frozen.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
Kenimator

The weather finally warmed up and thawed the pipes! Looks like it was frozen. I'll have to be prepared for that next time it's single digits here.

Quick Reply