Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > Toilets and Sinks > Leaks after new wax ring(s)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 09:55 AM   #31
Zanne

Liked 67 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 1146

Another random question: Do you warm the wax a bit (not to melting point obviously) before putting the ring on? You can actually warm it with your hands a bit and it makes the wax more malleable. This is important if the area is cold as wax becomes more brittle.

I hope there is not a crack in the toilet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2013, 05:15 AM   #32
camaroderrick73

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds like a manufacture defect in the toilet... Take it back and get a new one . That's what i would do

Old 12-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #33
havasu
PLF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 419 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 62

CD73 might be on to something. I once purchased a new Kohler toilet and had problems clogging. A few months later these casting remnants popped out of the bowl. I called Kohler (great company with great customer service!) and they replaced the bowl with a new one.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #34
Zanne

Liked 67 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 1146

Ooh, that is a nice design on that Kohler, havasu. It has that classy vintage style to it.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #35
newbie666

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I took it back and got another one of the same make and model. I was away for a few days so I put a lot of food coloring in the bowl before I left. When I took the toilet off I found a hairline crack on the left side underneath 1/2" of where the roundness of the bowl starts. I hope this was my issue all along. I did see beads of water on the underside this time. Gave the new one a look over before installing.

Anyways I guess this is hopefully the 6th and last time I have to do this. Used an extra thick wax ring, (base of toilet was just over an inch off the floor before I wiggled it down). I would guess this would mean there is enough wax. I hope my month long battle with a new toilet is done, If I don't post again it means I am finally successful.

A big thanks to all the contributors for their time and suggestions.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #36
havasu
PLF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 419 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I'm happy to hear you may have solved this dilemma. This thread may also help countless others, and I appreciate the follow up!

Old 01-22-2014, 04:59 PM   #37
newbie666

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Its leaking again

Its been since Dec 18 2013 I have been leak free. Just when I thought it was ok I wake up to a bit of water around the same usual spot again. It was a new toilet installed with an extra thick wax ring. When I pulled the toilet off I looked on the under side and found this, but don't know if this could be the issue. its on the underside of the bowl. When I do the wax ring there is about an iphones thickness that I am pushing down on. When I had the bolts tightened down the toilet did not rock. With time could the wax have compressed more and bolts became not tight enough? Please note the red circling on the picture and see if I should exchange for a 3rd toilet.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:44 PM   #38
IFIXH20
HERE TO HELP

Liked 178 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Mix some food color in a bucket of water. Place wax ring on flange and set toilet in place ( no need to bolt toilet down). Pour 2 or 3 buckets of colored water in bowl only making sure toilet flushes with each pour. Remove left over water out bowl, pull toilet to check area under toilet for signs of color/water.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:26 AM   #39
matthew12

Maybe the wax seal is not positioned correctly or closet flange is defective/damaged/installed wrong.

Quick Reply