Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > Plumbing Building Code > 2010 California Plumbing Code and calculating copper size??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 06:53 AM   #1
mcintoshmc

Default 2010 California Plumbing Code and calculating copper size??

Take a look at the attached. I was reviewing the 2010 California Plumbing Code, and I followed the formula they require.

Static pressure - minus .5 per foot of elevation from highest fixture to the meter. The I looked at table 6-6, and matched it to the long run from meter to remote fixture, and my numbers come up at over 60 PSI, 80 ft run, and 39 fixture units.

But as you can see, there are 3 options for 80 ft. and 39 FU's. How do I read this? I am re-piping with copper, and want to do it right.

Thanks.

Last edited by mcintoshmc; 03-09-2013 at 07:06 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
stevemachine

Liked 89 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 91

1" water distribution with 3/4 main is good. You got 39 f.u. Wow, in my code 39 f.u. Is like a small commercial building lol. Bathroom group is like 4.2 or so and hose Bibb is 2, kitchen sink is 1.4.I think the average house around here is like 20 f.u. For a 3-4 bathroom. Interesting lol

If you don't learn something new everyday at work, it's not even worth going.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
stevemachine

You would take the smallest option. I've almost never been in a house with a 1" water distribution piping, 3/4 is almost always enough. But based on your f.u. 1" is what you need

Old 03-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
Caduceus

Liked 192 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Maybe I'm just a little tired or something, but am I reading that it is acceptable to size the water distribution larger than the service in some circumstances? If so, it seems to contradict our sizing methods. Y'know, once a service size has been determined the volume remains the same even if you increase the size of the pipe after the service. You would simply have 3/4" volume in a 1 1/4" pipe, 1" vol. in 2" pipe and so on...??

Old 03-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
stevemachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus
Maybe I'm just a little tired or something, but am I reading that it is acceptable to size the water distribution larger than the service in some circumstances? If so, it seems to contradict our sizing methods. Y'know, once a service size has been determined the volume remains the same even if you increase the size of the pipe after the service. You would simply have 3/4" volume in a 1 1/4" pipe, 1" vol. in 2" pipe and so on...??
Agreed, however in our code it has the same thing. 3/4 water service with 1" water distribution or 1 1/2 water service with 2" water distribution. It's very odd and I don't think in reality you would ever do that. But hey my code has 2 1/2" for DWV so I think they take minimums to a whole nother level lol

Old 03-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
mcintoshmc

So, I have 1 inch coming in. I'm going to reduce to 3/4 to the water heater, and then run 3/4 throughout, but reduce 1/2 to the fixtures except for the h/c in shower, I'll keep that 3/4.

What I'm not sure of, is my sprinkler system in the back is fed from the spigot. I have nothing but long distance rotor heads. I have two zones, and 11 heads. Not sure, what size I should run to the spigot, so that I won't affect water pressure in the home while running.

Quick Reply