Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > Drain and Sewer Cleaning > Roots in sewer pipe to main, Hydro-jet??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
DavidN

Default Roots in sewer pipe to main, Hydro-jet??

I have a root problem. They are a little over 100 ft from the house. Had a local plumber over two weeks ago with a 100 ft snake with a 3 inch bit. He cleared the backup, but the camera revealed another batch of roots too far for the snake, so its backed up again. I want to get it hydrojetted. Is there anyone in the Delaware valley that does this? Having a hard time finding anyone online. I am in northeastern Maryland bordering Delaware and Pennsylvania. Any help would be appreciated. Also, pipe appeared to be in great shape except for the roots. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 01:29 AM   #2
johnjh2o

Liked 333 Times on 272 Posts
Likes Given: 218

If the pipe was in great shape roots would not be able to enter it. You need to repair the pipe where the roots are entering it. Even if you get them removed they will grow back in a short period of time.

John

Old 12-14-2011, 11:00 PM   #3
DavidN

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
If the pipe was in great shape roots would not be able to enter it. You need to repair the pipe where the roots are entering it. Even if you get them removed they will grow back in a short period of time.

John
Thanks for the help John, I guess being in Florida you don't know of any plumbers in my area that hydro-jet. True, if the pipe was in great shape it wouldn't have roots in it. Let me clarify. For a 40 year old terra cotta pipe it does not appear to be in danger of collapsing or have serious structural damage. Roots are finding there way in at a few connecting points of this old pipe. My point being, I don't think I need to replace the entire sewer line. I plan on eliminating the trees and cleaning up the pipe. Thanks again for your help.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:12 PM   #4
Draindit

Chances are you dont need to replace the pipe and even if you did there is no gaurantee that the roots wont damage the new pipe in time. Unless you know something we don't and the camera is showing offsets caused by the root intrusion or major breakage, than eliminating the root sources and treatment is a good plan. I would either look in your local yellow pages or even check craigslist for a company. Draincleaningforum also has a company show case that may help you.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #5
havasu

Liked 416 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 61

You could always dig up the connecting joints and remove the roots from the area. Once it's clean, dump a few 50 pound bags of rock salt and they will stop roots from attacking that area.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:42 AM   #6
PipeLining

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You can Patch line it where the problem areas are, but eventually the whole pipe will need to be replace and in answer to Drainit comment - if you "Line" the pipe and it is done properly (by a company that has over 10yrs exp) then it will last in his lifetime anyway. The product has at least a 60 year life span. Also, if you "replace" the pipe in PVC that is used in the UK then this is also guaranteed to last a very long time! All the best and yes using a High Pressure Waterjet is the way to go. If you can find a plumber also see if he can put a camera thru the pipe and give you a copy of the dvd.....

Old 03-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
plumbingjim17

Default Dont hydro jet

Don't waste your money hydro-jetting find a plumber with a longer snake and get it cleared with a small blade then medium then large and treat with root-x to buy some time then you can decide what to do to fix the problem hydro-jetting roots will make them puff up and create a hair like substance that will clog trust me from experience!

Ben Franklin Plumbing Of Alpine
304 Meadowlark Drive, Alpine, UT 84004
(801) 960-1567 ‎ www.benfranklinplumbingalpine.com

Old 03-15-2012, 11:48 PM   #8
Another-Plumber

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Jetting the main for roots is a JOKE, jetting is for SOFT blockages, yes your roots will be nice and clean after jetting is done,,, find a plumber with a longer snake 150ft +, as per code you should have a c/o EVERY 100FT, this is money better spent..

Old 03-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
rickyallen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN
I have a root problem. They are a little over 100 ft from the house. Had a local plumber over two weeks ago with a 100 ft snake with a 3 inch bit. He cleared the backup, but the camera revealed another batch of roots too far for the snake, so its backed up again. I want to get it hydrojetted. Is there anyone in the Delaware valley that does this? Having a hard time finding anyone online. I am in northeastern Maryland bordering Delaware and Pennsylvania. Any help would be appreciated. Also, pipe appeared to be in great shape except for the roots. Thanks
I would like to point out to the other guys that root intrusion does not always occur from the external side of the pipework. If the camera survey you had shows displaced joints then this is the case but on very small occasional it has been known for a bird to drop a seed in the open end of a stack pipe and breed in the pipe. Do have the pipe hydro scrubbed with a spinning jet head. This will remove the smaller, more brittal roots and remove the mass build up blocking the pipework. Then re survey the pipe from manhole to manhole to identify the damage to the pipe. Hydro scrubbing is the first point of clearing a drain. Any experienced drainage engineer will clear the pipe first before even thinking about a reline or localise point repair on the pipe. Snakes are best used to remove limescale on the pipe. They all still need HPWJ to clean the pipe.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
plumbingjim17

Jetting is a great tool for certain applications and the jetters we use are very powerful and will rip the flesh off to your bone if you were hit by the jetter nozzle but on roots it turns it into a hair like substance its best to cable then jet then camera but if you know whats wrong already cable then root-x or replace or repair.

Ben & Munson Mech Plumbing
Lehi, UT
(801) 960-1766 ‎

Quick Reply