Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > Two month wait for a simple plumbing repair?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 11:49 PM   #1
havasu
PLF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 416 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Default Two month wait for a simple plumbing repair?

My cousin has a home in the mountains. There was a recent cold snap where it got below zero degrees for several days. Yep, one of his copper pipes blew out in his garage. He called a local plumber and they said there are at least 1000 homes with the same problem, and his wait time is close to two months!

I went up today and I fixed the broken line in about 5 minutes. I even received a new map gas torch with auto ignite, new solder, emery cloth, flux, DeWalt saw blades, a mini-tubing cutter, etc for my trouble. Of course, I will purchase a new plumbing bag for this equipment, so the next time he calls, I'll be ready.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #2
johnjh2o

Liked 333 Times on 272 Posts
Likes Given: 218

Sounds like if you spent some time up there you would be able to cash in on some plumbing repairs.

John

Old 02-01-2013, 12:48 AM   #3
havasu
PLF_MODERATOR.png

I really want to purchase a house up there just for this reason. Not big jobs, just help folks who need it bad and be an honest helper. I see too many people ripping off others, and I just want to keep a little busy.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:30 AM   #4
Chris
Administrator
PLF_ADMIN.png

Liked 494 Times on 436 Posts
Likes Given: 42

It's the mountain mentality up here. Charge a lot, take a long time and maybe you will get a good job. I grew up dealing with these guys. I did a home remodel near your cousins place a year or so ago and tried hiring a couple local contractors and most said it was to far away (30 minute drive) and the ones that showed up were top dollar. I have thought about moving back up here and opening shop but I don't like the cold that much.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
havasu
PLF_MODERATOR.png

I concur Chris. My realtor was also prohibited from selling homes in both Lake Arrowhead AND Big Bear because of the long 20 minute commute. Seems these folks have their own set of rules.

Quick Reply