Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > Thump sound near main valve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 03:39 AM   #11
masterplumbercliff

Two things I would check- first check the toet fill valves and see if toilets run or if the fill valve is a quick closing style- second open the wall and see if maybe a pipe is not properly fastened( the pressure moving when you open and close things may be causing water hammer in the pipes and cause inch them to thump against Sheetrock or wood

Sent from my iPhone using Plumbing Forum

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 04:36 AM   #12
IFIXH20
HERE TO HELP

Liked 178 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 130

I am in agreement with Phishfood. I think it's the pressure reducing valve.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #13
Ernina

I was able to determine the expansion tank was bad, I bought one and attempted to replace it, but it wad tight as he!! and I didn't want to damage anything so I had a plumber come out. He agreed it was bad, and said he usually replaces the exp. tank and prv at the same time, but we'll see if it was just the tank. So far so good, but that was only about an hour ago. I ran the sink and didnt hear it. He was able to hear the thump before he got started. I will give an update in a day or so if that was indeed the issue. Thanks for all the replies!

Quick Reply