Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > Sand coming out from tub drain...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 01:57 AM   #1
mikeawesome

Default Sand coming out from tub drain...

I had a clog in my bath tub so I used an auger down the drain but it wouldn't go down far enough. I then tried going through the overflow tube and that didn't work either so I blocked the overflow tube with a rag and used a plunger on the drain and what looks like sand came up through it.

as far as I know nobody, in the house had been putting sand down the drain.. can it be a broken pipe letting sand seep in?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
yny

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeawesome View Post
I had a clog in my bath tub so I used an auger down the drain but it wouldn't go down far enough. I then tried going through the overflow tube and that didn't work either so I blocked the overflow tube with a rag and used a plunger on the drain and what looks like sand came up through it.

as far as I know nobody, in the house had been putting sand down the drain.. can it be a broken pipe letting sand seep in?
I would think if that was the case you would notice an extra wet area, or an extra high water bill.

I don't know the answer for sure, but maybe it has to do something with the water heater.

I changed my anode rod and did a flush and you would not believe the crap that came out of my tank, now the water is clearer.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:56 AM   #3
SlowDrip
Plumbing Sales

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It could indeed be crap coming from a degraded anode rod. It never hurts to check this anyways as they should be changed regularly.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:03 AM   #4
rfdevere
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to rfdevere

Plumbing In London

Are you guys mad? blaming the anode in a HWS?
my simple advice mate if there is sand in your area and not soil (mud) then a broken pipe is most likely the cause - also consider in most countries they use sand to pack a bath in/ off the ground? spaces behind bath panels can harbor problems for ages!!!! let me know

Quick Reply