Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > Pin hole leak in PEX cold water supply line

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
kohlep0a

Default Pin hole leak in PEX cold water supply line

I have a mystery leak. It occurs in a cold water 1" PEX line that supplies water to our guest bathroom sink (I think). It has only occured once during a party for todders when that sink was running nearly constantly. Also, it's not at a junction. Its where the PEX is running through a talon clamp attached to a floor joist.

In the span of 4 hours, it dripped enough to create a 3 inch wet circle on the concrete floor.

Any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 11:40 PM   #2
phishfood
PLF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 391 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 556

I have heard of one occasion, though not witnessed it myself, where PEX had rubbed against rough wood and abraded through in multiple spots.

Have you tried removing the pipe from the clamp and seeing if there are any wear marks on it?

Lake County, Florida plumber
Springtime Plumbing Services, LLC
License #11067533
352-630-5673
http://springtimeplumbingservices.411plumb.com/

Old 12-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #3
havasu
PLF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 419 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlep0a View Post
It has only occured once during a party for todders when that sink was running nearly constantly...
In the span of 4 hours, it dripped enough to create a 3 inch wet circle on the concrete floor.
What you are saying is that this line normally does not leak, and only does so with continuous usage. Are you certain the leak is in the pex, or could the leak be higher, past the valve turning the water on?
Old 12-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
kohlep0a

I do not believe that the leak is coming from anywhere up the line. The pipe is was dry on all sides leading to and from the drip. It does only leak with continuous usage.

I have considered just cutting the PEX and putting in a shark bite coupler, but it seems like I might be introducing more probability of leaks in the future. Thoughts?

Old 12-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
havasu
PLF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 419 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I would still investigate further. Can you get the pex to leak by twisting or turning it? It may just be a soft crimp. Also, unless the Sharkbite is in an accessible location, most would recommend you do not use it.

Quick Reply