Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > p trap with Nibco 4895

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
elijawww

Default p trap with Nibco 4895

Hi, I am replacing my vanity, the sinks and top. The plumbing in this house is fairly new, 7 years old. It is 1 1/2" pvc, all glued. Since it is all glued I have to cut it off and start from the wall again.
I want to replace this P-trap with something that's easier to work with. I found Nibco 4895 is threaded, which means I can easily adjust, remove, clean it. Do i need to treat the treads with plumber's putty or teflon tape?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 01:22 AM   #2
phishfood
PLF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 391 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 556

Take a look at the trap shown on this page. You will notice that the trap 90 degree fitting can be completely removed from the drain arm, making it much easier to snake out the line. Also, it can be moved in and out, making it very easy to align the Ptrap with the sink drain. http://www.oatey.com/brands/dearborn-brass/products/brass-plastic-and-commercial-tubular-grab-bars/plastic-p-traps/1-12-p-traps-w-threaded-adapter

Lake County, Florida plumber
Springtime Plumbing Services, LLC
License #11067533
352-630-5673
http://springtimeplumbingservices.411plumb.com/

jdc Likes This 
Old 12-24-2013, 04:35 AM   #3
elijawww

All my ptrap looked like the one you showed me, when I lived in NC. But in MA it may not be allowed. I found some poster has commented:
"in massachusetts, it is illegal to have a slip joint on the outlet side of the trap. however,if the p-trap is not the removable type, it must have a clean out plug in the bottom."

Come to think of it, I don't think I have seen jbend style ptraps in local Lowes. Explains why all the rest of the bathrooms and kitchen is all glued.

Does that mean I have to replicate what I have now, but substitute glued trap portion with threaded? I can't find any info on what goes inside that joint, some compression washer, Teflon, putty, or it's self seating.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:35 AM   #4
kreemoweet

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

IMO using glued-up piping for undersink drains is just plain wacky. Plumber's union in Mass. probably has some pull in the legislature, I guess. Personally, I would ignore it (unless I was a pro plumber, of course). If it's like the similar PVC/ABS items I've dealt with, the union-joint trap from Nibco you linked to seals plastic-to-plastic, i.e. no washer, no goop, no nothing. In my experience they are not very reliable.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #5
elijawww

Thank you for the reply, kreemoweet will take your advice into account.

Quick Reply