Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > New plumbing vent question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 01:43 AM   #1
Bogucki

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default New plumbing vent question

Can I vent fixtures where they meet, or just before where their arm meets the main drain line?

Due to existing roof penetrations and stacks, it would be much easier to vent these fixtures on the top side of bathroom rather than on bottom side and running vent lines all the way around the bathroom back towards the top wall.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
Caduceus

Liked 192 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 112

I deleted my previous post because I may have misinterpreted your drawing and description of how you want to do the installation.
Looking at it in two dimensions it looks like you want to run the vents off of the main for the fixtures unless what we are really looking at are the vents above the main and going through the walls?

Old 11-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
Bogucki

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This bath is on a second floor and I'm trying to tap into the existing roof penetrations. The wall behind the toilet is attic space, so I'm running the main drain right behind this wall in the attic. Normally I would vent the vanity and tub on their own wall, but in this situation I would have to bring the vents all the way around the tub and back towards the stack on the far left. If I can vent these fixtures behind the toilet side wall, it will make my vent runs about 8' rather than 20'.

The drawing is oriented as if you were laying on the ceiling looking down. Floor joists run parallel to drains and tub, terminating at the top wall so that I can run drain pipe right along the outside of this wall, in attic space.

Last edited by Bogucki; 11-13-2013 at 02:06 PM.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
johnjh2o

Liked 339 Times on 276 Posts
Likes Given: 220

The way you have it drawn the vents for the tub and lav. are too far from the fixture.

John

Old 11-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
Bogucki

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How about venting here between the floor joists, closer to the traps?

Old 11-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
johnjh2o

A horizontal vent must be 6" above the flood rim of the fixture. That would be 42" above the floor.

John

Old 11-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
Bogucki

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks John,

So a lav that is 36" above the floor would require a vent to be 6" above the flood rim before turning horizontally; making the vent turn at a minimum 42" above the floor. That definitely kills my hope of venting close to the attic side wall.

I guess that means I will have to vent each fixture in the wall they are on, meaning I will have to run the vents all the way back around the bathroom.

So I'll bring the lav vent up the wall 42" before turning across and then tie tub vent with it, then take that all the way around the bathroom walls and take it out a roof jack. Does that look proper? My major concern with this run is making sure I maintain .25" slope from end to end with no dips.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
johnjh2o

You got it. But to make it easier why not put the head of the tub and the sink on the same wall as the toilet.

John

Old 11-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
Bogucki

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes sir, I wish I could. The problem is that this bathroom has a sloped ceiling. It is part of a 1940's attic that was converted to living space many years ago.

The back wall is about 4' high, enough to accommodate a toilet and the back portion of the shower, but not tall enough to support a mirror/lav and shower head. The bottom wall, where the shower head and lav are going, is the stairwell wall and almost directly above it is the ridgeboard of the house, so I want to avoid making another roof penetration this high up the roof, although it would be much easier.

Preceding this, I had to rebuild the entire second floor since they utilized the original first floor 2x4 ceiling joists as floor joists for the second floor. I'm actually amazed how much wood will deflect before completely failing. This is what we found when we tore out dinning room ceiling; we knew we'd had no choice but to tear it all out and start over. And yes, those are scabbed 2x4's spanning over 12' supporting a bedroom.!

Last edited by Bogucki; 11-13-2013 at 08:31 PM.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
uplumb

It never ceases to amaze me what some people will do..

Quick Reply