Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > Kitchen sink drain won't drain.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 04:56 PM   #11
Zanne

Liked 67 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 1135

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFIXH20 View Post
I will agree with the other plumbers about the run is too long and the uses of too many ferncos & short pieces of pipe, but if that's all they said, then I say WOW. No mention of the J.Guest push fit fitting inside the wall - No pipe strapping (water lines will have movement) - The pvc sweep in the corner looks like no cleaner/primer was used unless clear was used - The drain line appears to run up & down hill at the 2nd stud to the left of cabinet - We use band coupling inside of closed walls and we would have used a pvc no hub adapter to transition the pipe - No stud guards - The 1 1/2'' plastic nut at the basket strainer is prone to leak.
I'm guessing the J.Guest push fittings are the black rubbery looking things with some sort of clamp? I saw those and thought those might possibly leak if there is too much pressure and that having them leak inside a wall might be pretty bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemachine View Post
In my opinion that drain is too far from your vent, I'd recommend you don't use an AAV. Your wall is already open, cut up a few more feet and cut in a t wye upside down in your vent and bring it over a few feet so that you don't exceed your 6' max. Your probably only long 2-3 ft anyways. Reason you secure water lines isn't for aesthetics, it's so your pipes don't sag and aren't stressed. You might think it's ok but it's not what you want to be doing. If that's loose it's opening up an opportunity for them to fail.
Don't AAV's only handle negative pressure? I wonder if a PAPA (positive air pressure attenuator) would work with that as well... But I do think that if an actual vent can be put in without too much expense, it might be better.

Gr8sl8, I hope the advice here can help you out. I know it can suck having to change things once you've put the work in. It's good that you are at least trying to do some stuff and that you are willing to learn about the plumbing stuff.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #12
Gr8Sl8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The black rubber things are ferncos which are meant for drains since it's not high pressure. J Guests are the couplings and elbows and valves on my water lines. I didn't know there was anything wrong with using them... Steve is it too late to still add the pipe straps or did I put them in the wrong place so I have no where to strap to? I want to make this right before I secure up this wall. Just a peace of mind that I'm not leaking behind my wall that would be a disaster.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:44 PM   #13
Zanne

Liked 67 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 1135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Sl8 View Post
The black rubber things are ferncos which are meant for drains since it's not high pressure. J Guests are the couplings and elbows and valves on my water lines. I didn't know there was anything wrong with using them... Steve is it too late to still add the pipe straps or did I put them in the wrong place so I have no where to strap to? I want to make this right before I secure up this wall. Just a peace of mind that I'm not leaking behind my wall that would be a disaster.
Ahh. Ok. I wasn't sure what the black things were called. I guessed wrong. LOL.

I'm no expert, but I imagine it might not be too late to add the straps so long as you can get them secured to prevent sagging and movement.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:51 AM   #14
Matt30

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Your drain also decreases in size. Also a big no no. You have 1 1/2 pvc going to what looks like 1 1/4 copper.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:46 PM   #15
stevemachine

Liked 89 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 91

You can still strap it. Honestly without getting into too much detail where it seems to move quite a bit, strap it or secure it. You can buy clips or strapping at Home Depot, I'd suggest you get clips and try to buy copper ones for the copper and plastic for the plastic piping. And Matt he didn't reduce sizes 1 1/2 copper equal 1 1/4 OD of plastic and what not and since you used a Fernco to adapt to the copper that proves to me it's not 1 1/4 cause you can't even use a 1 1/4 Fernco to adapt to copper it's way too small.

Sent from my iPod touch using Plumbing Forum

If you don't learn something new everyday at work, it's not even worth going.

Zanne Likes This 
Old 02-21-2014, 12:25 AM   #16
Matt30

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I didnt notice the markings on the fernco. Oopsie!

Old 02-21-2014, 01:19 AM   #17
stevemachine

Liked 89 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 91

No worries haha copper is hard to judge especially from a photo

Sent from my iPod touch using Plumbing Forum

If you don't learn something new everyday at work, it's not even worth going.

Zanne Likes This 

Quick Reply