Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > I need help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 04:57 AM   #1
traxxasx

Default I need help!

Well one of our bathtubs has been clogged for over a year. No plumber has been able to unclog it. I suspected a rusted shut ptrap. Anyways the bathtub needed to be redone, so i went and ripped out the tub and walls. House is on a slab, house is like 30 years old. So upon removal of the corroded and rusted trap, the smaller threaded galvanized pipe which connects the trap to the main drain, decides to snap off... Well the trap was clogged shut, so i found the clog. Now i needed to get the snapped peice out to put a new pipe and trap. Upon trying to remove the broken piece, the fitting that t's off the pipe snaps off. So now i am stuck, and i do not know what to do. Behind the wall is the front door, and the walkway. Im thinking i will have to break all the concrete out and around the pipe all the way down, some how remove it and replace it. Or is there some cool new invention that can fix this? The rest of the pipe looks clear, its not perfectly clean and smooth inside, but its not clogged. I have the piece that broke off. A friend mentioned welding the piece back on, but i don't think that is going to work. Here are some pictures and any advice would be appreciated.

This is a smaller drain, im guessing it taps into the main line.

I

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 05:35 AM   #2
traxxasx

Here are some more pictures. I started to to chizzle away the concrete around it, and i can dig the dirt out too. I was thinking, if i were to break off enough concrete around it, could i cut the pipe and install some sort of t-off for the trap that will attach with rubber couplers? Instead of replacing a whole pipe.

The concrete above the hole is not to thick. Maybe around 4-5 inches. The bottom is all dirt.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:34 AM   #3
traxxasx

Or im thinking cut the bottom cast iron pipe, clean it up real good. Add a no hub fernco connector 1 side of bottom cast pipe, the other side on a pvc T for the trap and drain. Then remove the whole top portion of the weak cast iron and glue a pvc pipe into the top end of the T and use a fernco connector to connect to the galvanized pipe. Hmm any ideas? This way i would only have to worry about getting one side of the cast to clean up smooth to seal to a coupler.

This is the idea. Lol sorry about my paint skills.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
phishfood
PLF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 388 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 556

If you have the room, that will work for the repair.

Lake County, Florida plumber
Springtime Plumbing Services, LLC
License #11067533
352-630-5673
http://springtimeplumbingservices.411plumb.com/

Old 01-30-2013, 05:08 AM   #5
traxxasx

Made some progress today with the hammer and chizzle. The pipe is very uneven and is not smooth, it has rust all around it, i do not want to try and clean it to much cause i dont want to crack it accidentally. Will the coupler still seal if i tighten it really hard? Or is there some sort of glue that can be put on so help with the seal...

Old 01-30-2013, 11:22 PM   #6
phishfood
PLF_MODERATOR.png

The best tool for cutting the pipe and cleaning up the outside of it is a angle grinder with a diamond blade. If you can't get your hands on that, the next choice would be a reciprocating saw (saws all) with a diamond blade. That will cut the pipe, but it can't be used to clean the outer diameter. A scraper and a file would probably do OK, if you worked at it.

License #11067533
352-630-5673

Old 01-30-2013, 11:36 PM   #7
traxxasx

Ya I have the grinder and was going to use it, just can't get around to the back unless I go outside and take out the walkway floor. I will try my best and maybe try some low grit sand paper

Old 01-30-2013, 11:55 PM   #8
phishfood
PLF_MODERATOR.png

You can cut as far around it as you can, first at the spot that you want to cut it off at, then about 3 inches higher. Then cut vertical sections out of the pipe to connect the two horizontal cuts, making sure that the pieces don't fall inside the pipe. This will allow you to get to the back side of the pipe from the inside.

License #11067533
352-630-5673

Old 01-31-2013, 12:14 AM   #9
stevemachine

Liked 89 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Even then with cast iron you can do a majority of the cut then get a hammer and chisel and it should crack evenly all the way around. That's how they used to cut it back in the day with a hammer and chisel

If you don't learn something new everyday at work, it's not even worth going.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:16 AM   #10
stevemachine

Liked 89 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 91

But considering its old and has been in service for a long time I'm not totally sure if it would work like its supposed to, but if you were in a pinch I'd do it.

If you don't learn something new everyday at work, it's not even worth going.

Quick Reply