Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > Freestanding Tub Filler Faucet Install

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
Jayman

Default Freestanding Tub Filler Faucet Install

I am remodeling my master bath and am installing a tub with a "Freestanding" Tub Filler. The one I purchased has 1/2" SS hoses that penetrate the base by a inch or so. The manufacturer does not include instruction for install. I am installing this on a concrete slab, my home is plumbed in CPVC. Any suggestions on how to plumb this up would be appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
phishfood
PLF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 391 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 556

If you are saying that the SS hoses come out of the bottom of the freestanding faucet, than the concrete needs to be broken up, walls need to be cut open, and supply lines ran over to the future location of the faucet.

Lake County, Florida plumber
Springtime Plumbing Services, LLC
License #11067533
352-630-5673
http://springtimeplumbingservices.411plumb.com/

johnjh2o Likes This 
Old 12-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
Jayman

Default Tub Filler piping strategy

Yes, I'm aware I need to break concrete. Attached is the pic from my demo. The two 1/2 lines coming from my slab are the supply line. The circle just in front of them are where the filler will be anchored. My first thought is to breakout just deep enough to hide the lines, accommodate tile etc. and then use 1/2" drop ear elbows to anchor them and turn up. Then I can insert a nipple so that they can be attached to the existing tub filler hoses. Any thoughts on a better strategy?? Thanks

Old 02-17-2014, 10:12 PM   #4
rpmbaja

Default tub filler install into slab? Help

I am trying to do the same thing. Would you share with me your end fix. I haven't bought the floor mounted tub filler yet but I do have the tub. I have a concrete slab with the plumbing open in the walls, new construction. Thanks so much for any help!
Terry

Old 02-18-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
Jayman

Default Tub Filler piping strategy

I ended up having to build a small box for my tub filler to sit on top and tile over it. This allowed me a small space to make my connections below. It was very much a trial and error project. Needless to say it would have been a breeze if I had a wooden sub-floor and had complete access to the piping.

My tub filler was basically just long pipe with two hoses coming out the bottom with almost no flexibility and almost no instructions. Not much for my $600.00 that's for sure. When you are looking for a filler see if you can view the instructions for install, how do the pipes/hoses exit the unit. Basically a general feel for how this thing is going to have to be installed. My 2 cents...

Old 02-19-2014, 02:21 PM   #6
rpmbaja

Thanks for the reply, we ended up at the same conclusion. One question does your unit feel a wobbly? When I installed the last one into sub floor properly the unit would move when you grasped the handheld. The faucet part is solid brass but the long tub part is thin and perhaps cheap. Did yours do the same.
Thanks!

Old 02-19-2014, 11:44 PM   #7
phishfood
PLF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 391 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 556

I just installed a very high end, heavy one earlier this week. While I wouldn't call it wobbly, it does have a bit of movement at the control/spout height.

Lake County, Florida plumber
Springtime Plumbing Services, LLC
License #11067533
352-630-5673
http://springtimeplumbingservices.411plumb.com/

Old 02-20-2014, 02:43 PM   #8
Jayman

Default tub filler install

No mine is anchored quit well so its solid. It has a SS mounting plate that I anchored to my homemade box. In the end however the unit had an internal leak and the distributor is exchanging it, no questions asked...Thank God. I did speak with one of their staff plumbers after the fact and he told me that typically if someone where installing one of these on a slab, they would actually create a space within their slab where the lines could connect, a shut-off valve could be installed etc. A little late for me...

Quick Reply