Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > Drain Cap in Basement floor leaks when it rains

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
Javs

Default Drain Cap in Basement floor leaks when it rains

In my basement there is a cap in the floor that is sealed with a wing nut. When it rains, it leaks and partially floods my basement. I have a couple questions. What is the purpose of the cap? Why does it flood? Is this cap something I can replace myself? Will replacing it solve my flooding problem? If it won't solve the problem, what can I do to stop the flooding? Sorry for the barrage of questions, but this keeps happening and I am now fully committed to fixing it. I greatly appreciate any help you could give me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
phishfood
PLF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 391 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 556

This is just a guess, but my thought is that the wing nut and cap seal a roof drain system cleanout. Do you you have a flat roof on you house that is drained by roof drains?

Otherwise, my second guess is that you have a septic system that is being flooded out by the rains, and the excess water is backing up through this sewer cleanout in your basement.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:06 AM   #3
havasu
PLF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 419 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I'm wondering if this is suppose to contain one of those "one way" check valves, which we have spoken about previously, and needs replacing?

Old 07-21-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
Reedwalker
Expert Turd Herder

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Its a storm drain and its full of roots.

The wing nut is what we call around here an expansion plug. If I cut out a threaded cap and the threads get trashed in the process, this cap has a rubber gasket that expands when you tighten the wing nut.

Call a plumber!

Old 07-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
majakdragon

Sounds like a Plumbers test plug to me. If you unscrew the wing nut, you can remove the plug. I would do that, when it is not raining, and see if the rubber seal on the plug is decayed or broken. You can buy new one.

If you have never made a mistake, you probably haven't done much.

Tags
drain cap, basement

Quick Reply