Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > Advice on replacing main sewer pipe please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 05:28 AM   #1
BasicPoke

Default Advice on replacing main sewer pipe please

I need to replace the pipe from my house to my septic tank, because it is partially collapsed (on the lower portion, which is thinner pipe), and install a cleanout. The house was built in 1977. The pipe coming out of the slab is fairly thick and is stamped PLASTIC in black. Diameter is 4 1/2 inches. As you can see, it goes through a multitude of connections, some of which I don't understand (it looks like a smaller pipe was just slipped inside a larger pipe). The elevation needs to drop about 1 ft. Any advice will help. See attachments.

Questions:

1. What is this type of old main pipe called and how do I connect to it?
2. Do I likely just need a standard 4" pipe into the septic tank?
3. How should I seal the pipe to the septic tank inlet (It goes thru a round hole that is roughly 4" but a bit larger)?

Thanks a lot
BasicPoke

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
johnjh2o

Liked 335 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 219

It looks like the line through the slab is SCH 40 PVC. Then it connects to 3034 PVC. I would suggest you use all SCH 40 PVC. Cut the existing line behind the hole that was cut into the pipe. Start out with a clean out tee. Followed by two 45's and SCH 40 pipe to the tank. Be sure to use PVC cement and primer on all the joints and cement the new line into the tank. Do not push the new line to far into the tank as there may be a baffle in the tank.

John

Old 12-12-2012, 04:17 AM   #3
BasicPoke

Thanks John. What concerns me is that the pipe coming out of the slab is 4 1/2" diameter. The standard 4" PVC would be about 4", right? What type of cement should I use to seal to the septic tank? There is a cover in the tank near the inlet and I plan to install a PVC baffle. I believe the old one was concrete and is gone now.
BasicPoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
It looks like the line through the slab is SCH 40 PVC. Then it connects to 3034 PVC. I would suggest you use all SCH 40 PVC. Cut the existing line behind the hole that was cut into the pipe. Start out with a clean out tee. Followed by two 45's and SCH 40 pipe to the tank. Be sure to use PVC cement and primer on all the joints and cement the new line into the tank. Do not push the new line to far into the tank as there may be a baffle in the tank.

John

Old 12-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #4
phishfood
PLF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 385 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 555

The outside of Schedule 40 PVC is just about 4 1/2".

I use hydraulic cement to seal to the tank, because I am impatient and don't want to wait for regular cement to dry. You have to work very fast and with small batches of that stuff, it sets up very quickly.

Lake County, Florida plumber
Springtime Plumbing Services, LLC
License #11067533
352-630-5673
http://springtimeplumbingservices.411plumb.com/

Old 12-15-2012, 03:02 AM   #5
BasicPoke

What would be the proper cement to connect the PVC to the septic tank? I mean exactly what is it called?

For a cleanout can I use just a standard 4" tee, like I have seen at Lowe's, or should I get one of those with more gentle curves?

What would be the ideal distance for a cleanout tee from the house, or should I worry about that?

Thanks
BasicPoke

Old 12-15-2012, 03:32 AM   #6
johnjh2o

Use PVC regular cement with purple primer. For a cleanout you could use a clean out tee or a sanitary tee with a cleanout plug. I would put the cleanout were the line first exits the house.

John

Old 12-31-2012, 05:08 AM   #7
BasicPoke

Over the past several weeks, I have replaced the pipe, including a clean-out, added a baffle at the inlet, and replaced the effluent pump with a heftier one and different float configuration. One of the tougher decisions was how to seal the pipe to the concrete septic tank. I ended up using roofing asphalt (pretty much tar). The tar did not harden after a couple of weeks and I was reluctant to pile dirt on top of it. It all seems to be good now. See photos. My shovel and I are good friends now. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:27 AM   #8
KULTULZ
Jack of All Trades ~ Master of None

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

NICE JOB!

But where does the sump pump come into it?

-My Life Is Full of Left Hand Threads

Old 12-31-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
phishfood
PLF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 385 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 555

My guess is that the pump lifts the effluent (sewage out of the septic tank) up to an elevated drain field.

Nice looking job.

Lake County, Florida plumber
Springtime Plumbing Services, LLC
License #11067533
352-630-5673
http://springtimeplumbingservices.411plumb.com/

Old 12-31-2012, 12:26 PM   #10
johnjh2o

Good job ,but I hope you used primer on those joints. I don't see any purple. Hopefully you used clear primer.

John

Last edited by johnjh2o; 12-31-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Quick Reply