Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion > Fast food workers on strike.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
Chris
Administrator
PLF_ADMIN.png

Liked 500 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default Fast food workers on strike.

In CA here fast food workers are striking demanding 15 dollars an hours minimum. Saying that minimum wage is not a living wage.

What are your thoughts?

http://news.yahoo.com/fast-food-strikes-return-amid-push-wage-hikes-114457533--finance.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
Chris
Administrator
PLF_ADMIN.png

I'll start with my thoughts.

I believe these are stepping stone jobs, just like when I worked fast food as a teenager. Young kids work there and learn about the real world and then move on to their careers. If you choose to work a minimum wage job your whole life why is it anyone elses fault that you are not making a killing?

Old 12-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
havasu
PLF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 419 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Just another demand from those who demand any and all entitlements, or should I say Obammie Supporters.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
Chris
Administrator
PLF_ADMIN.png

I don't eat fast food but I can guarantee they will just pass the buck on to us just like I would be forced to do if I had to spend more.

I don't get how people can look at how much money a company brought in and determine that they can afford to do this or that when they have no idea the real cost of doing business.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:40 AM   #5
phishfood
PLF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 391 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 556

There are similar protests going on around here.

If you want a job that pays $15 an hour, go out and find one. A low skill, entry level job such as fast food is not a $15 an hour job around here. Even in the trades, you will probably start around $10, and take a couple of years to move up to $15, and then only if you are a quick learner and a go getter. When I was making $15, I was in a van with a helper, and turning out 1 house underground rough in an 8 hour day, with almost no failed inspections or problems.

Like you said, it will either cripple the business, or cause general inflation if that type of job has to command that type of wage.

Lake County, Florida plumber
Springtime Plumbing Services, LLC
License #11067533
352-630-5673
http://springtimeplumbingservices.411plumb.com/

plbgbiz Likes This 
Old 12-06-2013, 02:42 AM   #6
Chris
Administrator
PLF_ADMIN.png

They probably don't realize that 15 will be the next 10. Your 800 a month rent will be 1100. gas will be 7 bucks a gallon and a cheesburger combo will be 12 bucks. All they will be doing is lowering the value of the dollar for those of us that have any saved will be worthless.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
Austin
Administrator
PLF_ADMIN.png

Liked 80 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 223

I'm conflicted. The industrial jobs that used to pay non skilled workers are gone, but the unskilled workers are still here. It seems that in and of itself is a greater issue.

I don't think any business should be forced to pay their employees more, but we do need to fix this by bringing back the jobs to the US, and not working with any country that doesn't use our same labor standards and practices.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
johnjh2o

Liked 339 Times on 276 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
They probably don't realize that 15 will be the next 10. Your 800 a month rent will be 1100. gas will be 7 bucks a gallon and a cheesburger combo will be 12 bucks. All they will be doing is lowering the value of the dollar for those of us that have any saved will be worthless.
It looks like another form of redistribution to me.

John

Old 12-07-2013, 11:33 PM   #9
phishfood
PLF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 391 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I'm conflicted. The industrial jobs that used to pay non skilled workers are gone, but the unskilled workers are still here. It seems that in and of itself is a greater issue.

I don't think any business should be forced to pay their employees more, but we do need to fix this by bringing back the jobs to the US, and not working with any country that doesn't use our same labor standards and practices.
I think the bolded part is the crux of the matter. And it isn't just a matter of a better education system, either. People have to WANT to learn new and advanced skills before you can have any chance of teaching them. Our culture needs to change a little bit to improve on that.

But in the end, there will always be unskilled, low wage jobs, and there will always be unskilled people doing those jobs making a low wage. The worker is there doing that job either because they don't have the ability or desire to get the skills necessary to move on to a better job, or they are doing that job as they are working to get the skills necessary for a better job. Forcing the employer to pay a higher wage is not going to change any of that.

Lake County, Florida plumber
Springtime Plumbing Services, LLC
License #11067533
352-630-5673
http://springtimeplumbingservices.411plumb.com/

People Like This 
Old 12-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
Zanne

Liked 67 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 1146

Hmm..

I do think that $15 is too much for a starting job BUT some of the fast food places (like McDonalds) are no longer hiring people fresh out of school and are demanding prior job experience.

In places with a lot of job opportunities it doesn't make sense to raise minimum wage that high.

Where I live there are hardly any jobs and people can wait upwards of 2 years just trying to get a job. The crap workers often seem to keep their jobs while the good ones lose theirs.

But yeah, I agree that the cost will just be passed on to the consumers.

I sort of wish that they would have some sort of sanctions against companies that outsource and maybe have more incentives for companies that hire qualified American workers.

The outsourcing is hurting us quite a bit now.

Quick Reply