Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > Water Heaters and Softeners > I need my water heater to DIE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 01:34 AM   #1
cln56

Likes Given: 1

Default I need my water heater to DIE

I am a single Mom, my hot water heater (electric) is 26yrs old, and I pay my power company $5 per month for a warranty to fix/replace it when it dies. I am remodeling the utility room that the heater is in, and I want to have it replaced before I remodel this room, because if the heater breaks after I remodel it might ruin my remodel, is there anything I can do to "make" it break/appear broken so that they will replace it? My brother can do the "deed" for me if I cant do it myself, HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF A 26YR OLD WATER HEATER?? I HAVE NEVER HAD A BIT OF REPAIR DONE ON IT!!! Please help me "kill" it, thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 01:49 AM   #2
IFIXH20
HERE TO HELP

Liked 178 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 130

I want go into a Religious rant, but HONESTY is the way to go. Just bite the bullet and have it replaced.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:54 AM   #3
havasu
PLF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 420 Times on 351 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I've never heard of a working 26 year old w/h. Maybe sell it back to the company for being such a good product?

Old 02-21-2013, 01:58 AM   #4
stevemachine

Liked 89 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 91

The oldest I've saw is probably 45+ years old or so. An old school rheem. I don't think there's much you can do to make it die besides maybe kicking it but really it's pretty hard to make something quit without it being obvious that it was intentionally damaged.

If you don't learn something new everyday at work, it's not even worth going.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:01 AM   #5
johnjh2o

Liked 339 Times on 276 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Drain it and don't turn the power off to it . That will fry the element. Chances are it's an old four bolt element that will fall apart when they try to replace it. OOPS did I just say that?

John

Old 02-21-2013, 02:32 AM   #6
IFIXH20
HERE TO HELP

Liked 178 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by cln56 View Post
I am a single Mom, my hot water heater (electric) is 26yrs old, and I pay my power company $5 per month for a warranty to fix/replace it when it dies. I am remodeling the utility room that the heater is in, and I want to have it replaced before I remodel this room, because if the heater breaks after I remodel it might ruin my remodel, is there anything I can do to "make" it break/appear broken so that they will replace it? My brother can do the "deed" for me if I cant do it myself, HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF A 26YR OLD WATER HEATER?? I HAVE NEVER HAD A BIT OF REPAIR DONE ON IT!!! Please help me "kill" it, thanks
I don't mean to go on , but people like you put people like me out of business, first the power co next the plumbing contractor. You can remodel your utility room but can't afford to replace the water heater.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:04 AM   #7
stevemachine

Liked 89 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjh2o
Drain it and don't turn the power off to it . That will fry the element. Chances are it's an old four bolt element that will fall apart when they try to replace it. OOPS did I just say that?

John
Ah that's interesting actually. I knew the whole drain it and don't turn it off but never knew of the four bolt elements. Never saw one before, guess ill have to google it

If you don't learn something new everyday at work, it's not even worth going.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #8
Caduceus

Liked 194 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 112

I would first have to ask you what indicates that the water heater is 26 years old? Have you physically owned it for 26 years? Is the manufacturing date stamped on it clearly? Some people confuse code dates with manufacturing dates, that's what I'm getting at. It may actually be newer than you thought. Hearing that it has never been serviced in 26 years just makes me a little skeptical.
Second, reread the warranty info for the tank provided by the power company. Be sure that the warranty covers all circumstances, not just power surges, damage from outages, faulty wiring, etc. as well as any additional charges for installation or required service upgrades to meet codes. Seems like there's always reason to be cautious and read the fine print so you don't screw yourself. Many utility companies do not actually provide the insurance, they just offer it and a sub contracted company honors the warranty. This applies to most water, sewer and gas line insurance policies.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:37 AM   #9
cln56

yes we have owned it for 26yrs, warranty from power company covers EVERYTHING, we pay $5 per month for it, we already had new elements installed in a now 23 yr old tank a few yrs ago under this warranty, yes they do contract with a plumbing co. to do the check and work

Old 02-27-2013, 01:38 AM   #10
cln56

it's actually a Montgomery Ward water heater

Quick Reply