Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > Pumps and Wells > My pump has the flu?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 01:10 AM   #1
threehappypenguins

Default My pump has the flu?

Our pump has suddenly started sounding weird. Does anyone have any idea of what might be happening? Is it about to die? I don't want it to suddenly die and us be stuck without water! It also seems like it's sucking in air, because when I turn on the water, sometimes the water will "stutter" (if that makes sense...).

This is the kind of pump we have:

And this is what the pump sounds like. I took a video: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-pS_fUKys5uWnFFb2JDUlcydWM/edit?usp=sharing

Also, it doesn't seem like it's hooked up very well. Not sure if that has something to do with it? This is a picture of the pipes coming from the wall into the back of the pump (right to left):

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
Valveman
Pump Controls Tech

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Doesn't sound very good. Sounds like a suction leak.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
speedbump
Water well and pump tech

Liked 47 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 13

It sounds to me like the motor bearings are going south. If you can get it to a motor shop, they can change the bearings for you. Or you can put a new motor on the pump if it's worth doing. I didn't see enough of it in the picture to know what it is. The only thing I know for sure is that it's a deep well system and if your picture is right side up, it's a Sta Rite Pump. Their suction was always on the bottom as opposed to on the top like all other pump manufacturers. Sears here in the States have always sold Sta Rite pumps under their names such as Craftsman. If it's a Sta Rite, it either has a square flange or a round flange motor. The round flange is a Sta Rite exclusive which fits nobody Else's pump.

Quick Reply